Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-01-2011, 09:29 PM   #1 
Connieconcon

My Tweak is not so Tweaked out these days

Hellooo! I don't know if anyone here will remember me since the last time I posted was a month ago.

I have a betta named Tweak because he was always glass surfing. I moved him to a bigger tank with more hiding places but he still wanted to surf. Then I covered 3 sides of his tank and he still didn't care and the damage he was doing to his tail was worse and worse.

So now he's in a 1 gallon tank with a silk plant, a real plant, and a floating log. He's seems to be doing a little bit better. He doesn't glass surf quite as much these days. So hopefully his tail will start healing!

How should I keep him warm in the 1 gallon? The temperature of the tank hovers around 70. I have a 50W heater that was in his old 2.5 gallon tank, but I read that 50w is too high for a 1 gallon. Thanks!
Connieconcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:36 PM   #2 
kelly528

Try a 7 watt hydor mini-heater or a Zoo-Med Betta Bowl Heater. Those are the only 2 things I know of that will work.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:39 PM   #3 
Tsuhei

Well...he's a tropical fish...so he needs to be in 76-80F temperature water.

Why did you move him to the 1 gallon tank if I might ask? Just so you know, for a 1 gallon tank, you need to do 100% water changes at least every other day...and for 2.5 gallon tanks you need to do two water changes a week (1-50% water change and 1-100% water change).

In order to help his tail heal, you need to keep his water pristine (very very clean). You need to do 100% water changes every day for 7-10 days along with adding 1 teaspoon of aquarium salt per gallon of water each time you do a 100% water change. Note: Do not use aquarium salt for more than 7-10 days...if you use it too long, you can hurt his organs.

Each time you do a water change, you need to properly acclimate him to the temperature of the water and the salt in the water: float him in a cup in his tank and add a little water from the tank into his cup and siphon some water out every fifteen minutes for perhaps 2-3 times before tilting him gently into his tank.

As for now, you really do need a heater..I suggest a 25watt adjustable heater.
Tsuhei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:34 PM   #4 
Connieconcon

Thanks.

Tsuhei, I'm well aware of the increase in care that a 1 gallon tank requires. I moved him to a 1 gallon because his tail was degenerating faster in his 2.5 gallon than it was when he was in his smaller tank. I think he might just be happier in a smaller tank.

And before anyone decides to attack me, I read on bettatalk.com that a 1 gallon is acceptable.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:39 PM   #5 
MrVampire181

Info on bettatalk is debatable....I support the site 100%. Some people don't like the info or say it's false but I've never had more healthy fish than when I follwed her advice.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:42 PM   #6 
Tsuhei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connieconcon View Post
Thanks.

Tsuhei, I'm well aware of the increase in care that a 1 gallon tank requires. I moved him to a 1 gallon because his tail was degenerating faster in his 2.5 gallon than it was when he was in his smaller tank. I think he might just be happier in a smaller tank.

And before anyone decides to attack me, I read on bettatalk.com that a 1 gallon is acceptable.
I'm not attacking you. I'm just giving you some information on how to help his tail regenerate. If it was "degenerating", he could have fin rot, which is caused by poor water conditions. I gave you a solution to try and help it grow back, so that's my 2 cents.
Tsuhei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:43 PM   #7 
Connieconcon

My other bettas have been happy and healthy with Faith's advice as well. It's just Tweak who's been a little trouble maker. :)
Old 01-01-2011, 10:45 PM   #8 
Connieconcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuhei View Post
I'm not attacking you. I'm just giving you some information on how to help his tail regenerate. If it was "degenerating", he could have fin rot, which is caused by poor water conditions. I gave you a solution to try and help it grow back, so that's my 2 cents.

I appreciate it. I treated him for fin rot right after I got him and his tail started to split apart. I thought it was the tank size so I got him a bigger tank. But that seemed to make things worse.

I forget what treatments I tried too - you can look in my past posts. I couldn't get anything to work and the last straw was when the idiot at the pet store told me to try to get my hands on human antibiotics to cure him.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:17 PM   #9 
Connieconcon

oh gosh, today I noticed for the first time, he's actually interested in the plants and marbles I put in his tank instead of attacking his reflection. I'm so happy!!!
Old 01-02-2011, 06:47 PM   #10 
Jupiter

Good to hear that he's on the mend! You can try a tetra pre-set heater at Walmart. It's set to 78 degrees, but it works better in smaller tanks. There are hydor and zoo-med heaters that raise the ambivalent temperature around 5-10 degrees, too.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote