Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-06-2011, 03:16 PM   #31 
crezelda

LPS has peppers, how many in a 10g? i was about to, but i got a java fern instead lol
crezelda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:01 PM   #32 
celine18

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeka View Post
No he doesn't worry about them. He flares at the platies a little bit ...... Not as bad as when I first got him. But everyone else he leaves alone. My cories were tank bred, not wild caught. They come out and eat when they don't think I'm watching lol.
lucky, you have an easy going betta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatherineMPLS View Post
Errrr... I hate to burst bubbles, but those are most definately trilineatus, not julii. Julii are VERY VERY rarely captured and exported from Brazil, South America. C. Julii are found in the lower Amazon, where commercial fish collectors do not really operate. If they do find their way to pet stores, it's typically in Germany, but again this is very very very rare.
C. Julii will have very small and distinct spots, rather than the more linear pattern in your picture

Almost all pet stores label them as julii... but they are not :)
Maybe because it's easier to say "Julie-Eye" than "try-lin-knee-ah-tuss"?!

However, trilineatus (or "false julii") are super awesome!!
And... enough of my "rant".....

Anyways, I would recommend getting at least 6 of the same species. Most cories you'll find for sale are right around 2 inches when full grown. And make sure that they're compatible with the temperature you keep your betta at :)

Pick whatever species you like best!!
THEY'RE ALL GREAT!!
i had been thinking they were falsies too! lol. at the store i got my sterbais at they were labeled as juliis... definetely not, lol. don't trust stores when they say julii. do a bunch of research on whatever cory you get, it seems like a very common thing for them to be mis-labeled.
celine18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:27 PM   #33 
CatherineMPLS

Quote:
it seems like a very common thing for them to be mis-labeled.
Julii, Trilineatus, Leopardus, Sterbai, Haraldschultzi,Brochis, Scleromystax, Aspidoras, c128 (and a whole list of "c" numbers...) All tend to get confused, mislabeled, etc.....

Corydoras identification can be... overwhelming with over 200 species and probably more that are yet to be discovered!
CatherineMPLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:17 PM   #34 
Alex09

Hmmm... I did research and mine dont look like Trilineatus I mean, here is a frontal shot of one of mine. Trilineatus has much more pronounced squiggly lines on their head while Julli's have dots. I have also seen Trilineatus (labeled as Julli) at my petco and they do look different. Their skin is a darker shade. I know because I bought one from petco and it wasnt until I put it in the tank that I noticed it looked completely different. Unfortunately it died 2 days later.

Here is a pic of Trilineatus and when you compare the patterns on the head you see it looks way different. I could have an entirely different variety or just a hybrid lol.

As for my cories, I do believe they were captive bred, at least thats what the guy told me. Its a small LFS with good reviews and the guy definitely knew what he was doing (half his store was saltwater, he asked me about cycling, how I cared for my betta, water changes, etc), so I had no reason to not believe him.

Last edited by Alex09; 01-07-2011 at 12:27 PM.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:56 PM   #35 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/top100_species.php

This is a link to Planet Catfish's top 100 species page. Roll over the the scientific names (in purple) and a picture of the fish pops up.

Click the scientific name, and you will go to the species page. The one I visited, for the zebra catfish, has a ton of pictures. Scroll down, and you will find all the specfication for that fish, including size and PH preferences.

You do want to be careful in choosing catfish, because some of them are indeed quite large as adults (measured in feet)! If you have a smaller community tank 2-3" is a good adult size.

At any rate, you should find the catfish of dreams at Planet Catfish. :)

Good Luck!
Cheryl
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:46 PM   #36 
celine18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex09 View Post
Hmmm... I did research and mine dont look like Trilineatus I mean, here is a frontal shot of one of mine. Trilineatus has much more pronounced squiggly lines on their head while Julli's have dots. I have also seen Trilineatus (labeled as Julli) at my petco and they do look different. Their skin is a darker shade. I know because I bought one from petco and it wasnt until I put it in the tank that I noticed it looked completely different. Unfortunately it died 2 days later.

Here is a pic of Trilineatus and when you compare the patterns on the head you see it looks way different. I could have an entirely different variety or just a hybrid lol.

As for my cories, I do believe they were captive bred, at least thats what the guy told me. Its a small LFS with good reviews and the guy definitely knew what he was doing (half his store was saltwater, he asked me about cycling, how I cared for my betta, water changes, etc), so I had no reason to not believe him.
yea, they're deffinetly not c. trilineatus from that close up...but he does have squiggles.....i think he is one of those great mysteries of the universe.
celine18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 04:01 PM   #37 
CatherineMPLS

Quote:
I'm not going to put a whole lot of effort in to changing your mind cause everyone is allowed to have their opinions :) ... but the fact remains, TRUE C. Julii are rarely sold.

C. Trilineatus vary greatly in their patterns. I have several of them... some are spotty (and almost had me thinking they might be julii!) ... some have darker lines... some have lighter thinner lines... And there are several species that look very very similar to both julii & trilineatus.

Here are a wide variety of trilineatus pics: http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog...species_id=508

Ian Fuller (one of the authors of "Identifying Corydoradinae Catfish" and founder/owner of corydorasworld.com) took this picture in 1980: http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog...i&image_id=187

Anyways... I'm done with my cory ID spiel... IT'S FRIDAY!! WOOOOOOO!!!!
Old 01-07-2011, 04:02 PM   #38 
CatherineMPLS

Here's the C. Julii picture for those that don't want to click the link :)

Old 01-07-2011, 04:23 PM   #39 
CatherineMPLS

***Images courtesy Ian Fuller & Corydorasworld.com

Above is another of Ian's Pics. I guess I'm not allowed to HotLink the other image :)
Quote:
Ian Fuller (one of the authors of "Identifying Corydoradinae Catfish" and founder/owner of corydorasworld.com) took this picture in 1980: http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog...i&image_id=187

Last edited by CatherineMPLS; 01-07-2011 at 04:35 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:34 PM   #40 
Alex09

Well, Im not insisting that my cories are TRUE Julii's because looking at pics, Im convinced they are probably not, Its not like I have a problem if they turn out to be trilineatus lol. I was just stating that the pattern on their heads is distinctly different from what you see in your average trilineatus. Either way, they are special and I love em :P

PS: I will continue to call them Julii's simply because spelling out "trilineatus" is a PITA.

Last edited by Alex09; 01-07-2011 at 04:38 PM.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote