Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-02-2011, 02:40 AM   #1 
KennyBooBear

Why!?!?!??!

Okay, so it's not as dramatic as my title may make it seem, but today I decided to expand on my aquarium a bit. Now have ole Anton in a 10 gallon setup and picked up an algae eater as well as a ghost shrimp.

Cleaned up my 10 gallon real good, dropped in a water lily bulb, some little features and a fake bamboo tree, as well as the sand for substrate. De-chlorinated the water and added aquarium salt for the ghost shrimp. Also went ahead and hooked up my filter and now, 5 hours later, the water is 100% crystal clear. Water is stuck at 80F, hasn't budged a bit, and the filter is definitely doing it's job :D

There's only one problem...... I found my ghost shrimp dead in the corner after only being in the aquarium for about 3ish hours.

I've only come up with 3 possibilities as to why he's dead.

1. Chigurh kept screwing with the shrimp, nipping at it and whatnot, but he was too quick to actually get bitten. Is it possible that my Betta could have stressed him to an early grave? I was thinking that maybe in between adjusting to a new aquarium etc. the extra bit of stress may've put him over the edge.

2. I added this stuff called aqua magnet clarifier. It specifies that it's safe for all fish etc. but I'm slightly skeptical as it specifically warns against opening with your mouth and anywhere near your face for that matter. Could that additive had some negative effect on le shrimp?

3. The last idea I had for why he may've died is the possibility that I didn't add enough aquarium salt. Since I'm new to the whole Betta thing, I was concerned with adding too much and negatively effecting the Betta. I have about 9 gallons of water in the tank and the salt specifies half a teaspoon for every gallon. I halved that in fear that it could do something to Chigurh that I wouldn't much like. Is it possible that not enough aquarium salt in the water caused an untimely death?

That's all I've got for now, any ideas, questions, or comments would be awesome. Cheers.
KennyBooBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:50 AM   #2 
DormDrax

Shrimp are very delicate... you may have wanted to wait longer before putting them in. Don't worry to much though... their cheap (Did I just feel my soul die alittle for writing that?)

Don't fret too much... I mean I'm fretting over a cheap Tank plant not doing well...

Long as the fish you treasure are alright... then I wouldn't worry, if they were being nippy and playful (Maybe too much) to the shrimp that probably means your fish are doing pretty well haha. Sounds like a nice tank...

But... as I've noticed other members saying...

PICTURES WOULD BE NICE
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:12 AM   #3 
shinybetta

Ghost shrimp are treated horribly during shipping because the are feeders. I bought five and one survived. Although my shrimp is just as hardy as the fish, if not hardier, once he is settled in.

Edit: Ghost shrimp don't need aquarium salt. I don't even think they like it. Possibly AQ salt killed him, as I read it was bad for shrimp.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:37 AM   #4 
vaygirl

Yeah, it's not uncommon. I lost all of mine in the span of a couple months. One of them died on the way home from the store before I could even get it in the tank. It's probably better this way, to be honest. Your betta should only have salt for 10 days for disease treatment. It's not a long term thing they should live in. Shrimp are extrememly sensitive to copper. Copper will kill them so if anything you added had copper in it, that could be the culprit.

Shinybetta, if he got them at petsmart, they state on their care sheet that they need salt. I'm not sure why. Mine died without having any salt in the tank.

Lastly, make sure it's not just his shell left behind from molting.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:52 AM   #5 
shinybetta

Hmm, I have had one alive for 6 months with no salt. I always read it was bad for them. They are freshwater shrimp. When one of my shrimp died I deshelled him, cut off his head, and fed him to my sorority girls. They loved it!
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:53 AM   #6 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaygirl View Post
Yeah, it's not uncommon. I lost all of mine in the span of a couple months. One of them died on the way home from the store before I could even get it in the tank. It's probably better this way, to be honest. Your betta should only have salt for 10 days for disease treatment. It's not a long term thing they should live in. Shrimp are extrememly sensitive to copper. Copper will kill them so if anything you added had copper in it, that could be the culprit.

Shinybetta, if he got them at petsmart, they state on their care sheet that they need salt. I'm not sure why. Mine died without having any salt in the tank.

Uh... I thought you should always have the tank lightly salted... as a Preventive.

I have AQ and Epsom... which should I use more often and when and how much? I have a 10Gal. I know Epsom is better but like... maybe AQ has it's benefits too?
Old 01-02-2011, 11:56 AM   #7 
JKfish

What sort of algae eater did you get? constant salt in the tank can actually cause organ failure in your betta fish.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:02 PM   #8 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
What sort of algae eater did you get? constant salt in the tank can actually cause organ failure in your betta fish.
*Murmurs for about an hour about how this one acclaimed site demanded salting*

What if it's only like... 1tsp Epsom per ... well the whole 10gal tank. Thats normally all I do every few days ... and then my water changes (like twice a week I do 20% changes) ... hmm... in fact tomorrow is his weekly 100% change (Which... I do on Mondays).

Uh... I don't have an Algae Problem yet, or... any for that matter XD (Just making up excuses for not having it.)
Old 01-02-2011, 12:04 PM   #9 
KennyBooBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinybetta View Post
Ghost shrimp are treated horribly during shipping because the are feeders. I bought five and one survived. Although my shrimp is just as hardy as the fish, if not hardier, once he is settled in.

Edit: Ghost shrimp don't need aquarium salt. I don't even think they like it. Possibly AQ salt killed him, as I read it was bad for shrimp.
Sounds like a good place to start then lol, will get a few of them and see how many and/or if I'm left with any survivors. I left him and the algae eater floating about the tank water to adjust for almost an hour so bleh, prolly just died of shock from shipping etc. etc. etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DormDrax View Post
Shrimp are very delicate... you may have wanted to wait longer before putting them in. Don't worry to much though... their cheap (Did I just feel my soul die alittle for writing that?)

Don't fret too much... I mean I'm fretting over a cheap Tank plant not doing well...

Long as the fish you treasure are alright... then I wouldn't worry, if they were being nippy and playful (Maybe too much) to the shrimp that probably means your fish are doing pretty well haha. Sounds like a nice tank...

But... as I've noticed other members saying...

PICTURES WOULD BE NICE
How about a video? :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPjINS2KSCE

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaygirl View Post

Yea, I got it at petsmart so maybe it is from not having enough AQ salt? Putting in 4 1/2 teaspoons won't be bad for ole Betta, will it?

And nah, definitely not his shell, already extracted it haha. Also no copper, in fact, nothing of metal in the tank at all, ah well. Gonna go buy some more critters for the aquarium today. I hear platies go well, what else should I consider?

Thanks to all of you for the wealth of info :D
KennyBooBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:06 PM   #10 
DormDrax

XD i have the exact same cave thingy!