Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-02-2011, 11:11 AM   #11 
KennyBooBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
What sort of algae eater did you get? constant salt in the tank can actually cause organ failure in your betta fish.
It's labeled as an Otocinclus. I got it because they max out at around 2" from what I understand, and seems to have similar requirements to the Betta. After reading the replies here, I don't think I'll be regularly adding salt, at least in large amounts. I figure small amounts, as cited, could be used as a preventative measure but otherwise.... unless of course that too would be bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DormDrax View Post
XD i have the exact same cave thingy!
Yea, Anton inherited it from my old California King when she was an adolescent and still fit in it lol
KennyBooBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:16 AM   #12 
JKfish

okay, that's good. If you had bought something like a chinese algae eater or pelco, neither would have been good. ATM, you need to feed the little bugger, otos are typically caught from the wild (using chemicals), shipped, then kept in petstores with little to no food. Try blanching veggies like zuchinni for him and some sinking algae wafers as well, he might eat those.

Adding salt can actually help whatever is in your water build up resistance to salt, which makes treating your betta or other fish really difficult when it comes to salt. A lot of what your betta fish can get sick with actually is very common in aquariums, they just don't hurt healthy fish because of their immune systems, so if they are used to living in slightly salty water, regular doseing won't do much to them.

If you haven't already, you'll probably want to start cycling your tank so it'll be able to handle all the fish. I've heard otos can be pretty sensitive to fluctuations in water params, and if you add ghost shrimps, eventually catching them for your hundred percent water changes will get to be a pain.

Last edited by JKfish; 01-02-2011 at 11:20 AM.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:19 AM   #13 
KennyBooBear

Quote:
okay, that's good. If you had bought something like a chinese algae eater or pelco, neither would have been good. ATM, you need to feed the little bugger, otos are typically caught from the wild (using chemicals), shipped, then kept in petstores with little to no food. Try blanching veggies like zuchinni for him and some sinking algae wafers as well, he might eat those.
Yea, I actually intend on picking up some algae wafers when I run to Petsmart here in a few. Also for the ghost shrimp I intend on buying. I reckon I'll pickup a few more fish too. These people are gonna get tired of me haha

I'll also keep that in mind about the salt. From here on out I'll remain awfully conservative with it at best as I kind of figured too much wouldn't be necessarily good for a fresh water fish.

Last edited by KennyBooBear; 01-02-2011 at 11:22 AM.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:22 AM   #14 
ChicagoPete

Is that live Bambo in your tank??? If it is your killing it... Only the stalk should be submerged in water eny leaves should be above the surface or the plant will rot and die.
ChicagoPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:23 AM   #15 
JKfish

Lol, I guess they'll appreciate the business. If you're going to pick up more fish, I'd only get a few more otos and possibly wait for the ghosts until you can cyle your tank. Like I said in my other post, they can be a pain to catch, and also shrimps are pretty delicate, I don't think they'd survive a cycle unless you're really on top of water changes.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:26 AM   #16 
KennyBooBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoPete View Post
Is that live Bambo in your tank??? If it is your killing it... Only the stalk should be submerged in water eny leaves should be above the surface or the plant will rot and die.
I'm aware lol, it's a fake stalk.

Quote:
Lol, I guess they'll appreciate the business. If you're going to pick up more fish, I'd only get a few more otos and possibly wait for the ghosts until you can cyle your tank. Like I said in my other post, they can be a pain to catch, and also shrimps are pretty delicate, I don't think they'd survive a cycle unless you're really on top of water changes.
Gotcha, will look into those then. Does Petco normally have better quality fish? Because I have one right across the street from the Petsmart.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:27 AM   #17 
DormDrax

WELL! *In that snotty Rich Woman Way*

I guess I won't add any salt tomorrow when I clean his tank out.

Is doing a 100% change plus several 20% changes too much for a 10gal a week? I'm just very OCD about cleaning... if I see uneaten food I gravel vac a gallon of water out. if I see a leaf floating... I clean... I'm too clean XD I'm like that weird parent who probably wouldn't let their kids go out much because... "They Might Get Germs!"
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:31 AM   #18 
KennyBooBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DormDrax View Post
WELL! *In that snotty Rich Woman Way*

I guess I won't add any salt tomorrow when I clean his tank out.

Is doing a 100% change plus several 20% changes too much for a 10gal a week? I'm just very OCD about cleaning... if I see uneaten food I gravel vac a gallon of water out. if I see a leaf floating... I clean... I'm too clean XD I'm like that weird parent who probably wouldn't let their kids go out much because... "They Might Get Germs!"
lmao @ first part.

I've actually been curious about the latter myself. I kind of had this mental theory that you don't want it to be TOO clean or you're making the fish susceptible to disease etc. I figure if they're too clean, they have no way of building up a reliance to even the most basic bacteria etc. I could be entirely wrong though and just using that as an excuse to be a man and not clean anything lmao
Old 01-02-2011, 11:32 AM   #19 
JKfish

KBB: Ummm, I'm not really sure. Chances are they've got similar quality fish. Otos are extremely hard to breed in captivity, and they're hard to catch in the wild with just a net, so I'm betting they both get their otos in similar ways, though I'm not sure

DormDrax: How long have you been salting Drax? If it's been a bit more than ten days, I slowly start to wean him off the salt. He's looking a lot healthier now, so just fresh water and some time should slowly do the trick :)

Drax, with your ammount of cleaning, you're definately a bit OCD, especially because you've only got Drax in there. heck, a 50% weekly would be more than enough with a hundred percent every other week or so, though at the moment because he needs to heal and because you haven't cycled the tank, you could stick with that cleaning schedual if you want.

Last edited by JKfish; 01-02-2011 at 11:34 AM.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:35 AM   #20 
Jupiter

If you're going to Petsmart to pick up more fish, I would pick up a couple more Otos. From what I remember, they do better in groups. Also, they're very picky eaters and quite sensitive to water quality (like shrimp), so keep and eye out for that. Good luck!
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote