Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-02-2011, 12:43 PM   #21 
KennyBooBear

Righteo then! Will get two more Otos and one last thing. Would it be necessarily bad for me to pick up a female friend for ole Chigurh? I figure I'd like to populate my tank as best and most reliably as possible.
KennyBooBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:45 PM   #22 
JKfish

Your betta fish? If so... no no no no no . Female betta fish are just as agressive as males (though technically temperment and tank size are also factors) and they've got less heavy finnage than males , so if you stick them together, there is a chance you'll end up with a dead boy by morning.

at the moment, focus on cycling your tank, the more fish you have in there during cycles, the more water changes necessary, to try to keep your tank with as few occupants as possible.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:50 PM   #23 
KennyBooBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
Your betta fish? If so... no no no no no . Female betta fish are just as agressive as males (though technically temperment and tank size are also factors) and they've got less heavy finnage than males , so if you stick them together, there is a chance you'll end up with a dead boy by morning.

at the moment, focus on cycling your tank, the more fish you have in there during cycles, the more water changes necessary, to try to keep your tank with as few occupants as possible.
Will keep that in mind then, as I've read some on community tanks where people have had both in the aquarium. But as you said, temperament and the size of the aquarium are factors as well. I don't think I have enough distraction in there as it stands now to keep them at bay, so I'll just stick with the Otos .... for now. May also try my luck with a couple more ghost shrimp just for kicks. I'd quite like, if at all possible, a small variety.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:51 PM   #24 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
DormDrax: How long have you been salting Drax? If it's been a bit more than ten days, I slowly start to wean him off the salt. He's looking a lot healthier now, so just fresh water and some time should slowly do the trick :)

Drax, with your ammount of cleaning, you're definately a bit OCD, especially because you've only got Drax in there. heck, a 50% weekly would be more than enough with a hundred percent every other week or so, though at the moment because he needs to heal and because you haven't cycled the tank, you could stick with that cleaning schedual if you want.
It's not that I'm OCD it's just *Rubs arm* just what am I supposed to do? I feel like I should be doing something XD whenever I'm in the room I'm either fiddling with one of the plants or cleaning one of the ornaments... I can't just sit there and watch him, I gotta do something every now and then.

I should almost blame you guys >,> you all sorta scared me into becoming semi over paranoid. If I was anymore Drax's caretaker I'd be wearing a French Maid costume wielding a Feather-Duster.

It's been a month and well I never salted much...

Maybe I should just go with the smaller 20% changes maybe 3 times a week. I am good at getting dead plant matter, poop and food with the Gravel vac.
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:57 PM   #25 
KennyBooBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DormDrax View Post
It's not that I'm OCD it's just *Rubs arm* just what am I supposed to do? I feel like I should be doing something XD whenever I'm in the room I'm either fiddling with one of the plants or cleaning one of the ornaments... I can't just sit there and watch him, I gotta do something every now and then.

I should almost blame you guys >,> you all sorta scared me into becoming semi over paranoid. If I was anymore Drax's caretaker I'd be wearing a French Maid costume wielding a Feather-Duster.

It's been a month and well I never salted much...

Maybe I should just go with the smaller 20% changes maybe 3 times a week. I am good at getting dead plant matter, poop and food with the Gravel vac.
French Maid costume and a feather duster you say?!

On a more serious note, though, I think I shall try some of this.... biospira stuff I've read about. *contemplates*
Old 01-02-2011, 01:05 PM   #26 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyBooBear View Post
French Maid costume and a feather duster you say?!
Oh well played...
*Sips Tea*
... oh didn't realize my cup was empty...
*Throws Tea Cup at you*
You owe me 15$ for a Replacement...

(I'm in a quirky mood lol )
Old 01-02-2011, 01:10 PM   #27 
KennyBooBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DormDrax View Post
Oh well played...
*Sips Tea*
... oh didn't realize my cup was empty...
*Throws Tea Cup at you*
You owe me 15$ for a Replacement...

(I'm in a quirky mood lol )
That's an awfully expensive tea cup lol
Old 01-02-2011, 01:18 PM   #28 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyBooBear View Post
That's an awfully expensive tea cup lol
I have something similar to this http://www.teavana.com/rs/c/0910Cast...t/Tea_Sets.jpg

Except my Pot is taller and narrower (Same Volume though) also rose colored with dragons. I spent a fortune on the set... >,>
Old 01-02-2011, 01:24 PM   #29 
shinybetta

Get the otto's in groups of 3+, and you can get some ghost shrimp. But I wouldn't put salt. My ghost shrimp survived a cycle just fine.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:45 PM   #30 
Cravenne

I'm surprised no one mentioned anything about adding additives to your tank (or maybe they did since I didn't actually read the whole thread).

IMO...you add dechlorinator and........nothing. Salt as treatment for illness etcetc. Those products are there to make companies money and aren't really necessary to keep a healthy tank. Cycle, water change, water change and water change. Clean healthy water is the best (and cheapest) preventative to disease. I've seen so many people posting about issues arising and then we find out they are using PH up or down...chemicals to block ammonia. It's just wasteful. That money could be spent on another fish!

As for ghost shrimp..I've never been able to keep those things alive. Snails, I can do..(and would always advise because they are super interesting and cute, albeit a bit messy)

Now, I'm off to water change!!
Cravenne is offline   Reply With Quote