Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-02-2011, 01:52 PM   #31 
shinybetta

It seems that there is a 1/5 ratio for keeping ghost shrimp alive. Buy 10, that it is your best bet. My only ghostie is very active and helps cleaning a lot!
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:28 PM   #32 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I'm not exactly sure what ghost shrimps are, but the pictures in google look like our common shrimp - abundant in rivers and lakes and ranging from fresh to brackish water. Here they are used as fish food .... and bait.

If that's the shrimp, they don't need much care other than oxygen (air/water pump). If there's a lot in one tank (I used to keep 40 - 80 in a 14g as food for large fish), just give them somewhere to ..... perch (?) like plants or twigs - IDKW they often die without it. I often put the ones carrying eggs with the smaller fish (betta, live bearers, tetras, etc.) so when they hatch, they become snacks.

A healthy shrimp is usually rather clear. The murky ones will soon molt. The white-ish ones are either unhealthy or over stressed and would probably die when it gets to your tank.

Must warn you, if you're lucky (lol), you might get a harasser towards a long finned and rather docile betta - it would cling on the fins.

I agree on additives as being a waste of money. All you really need is a dechlor. Additives often does more harm than good (when not needed). Just keep up with water changes until the tank is cycled.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:35 PM   #33 
DormDrax

*Nods*

I agree on that (Additives)... plus... it just complicates things, you ARE meant to just ENJOY your fish haha.
I mean I may sound like I'm Drax's Maid right now but I still sometimes just watch him for like... well sometimes I won't realize a half hour has passed.
Though I'm sure I've been merciful on the Epsom salt and I'll lessen it in the coming water changes.

I saw something called a 'Mystery Snail' at PetSmart... I have dangling vines that go outside my tank... would it 'Mysteriously Disappear that way?
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:59 PM   #34 
KennyBooBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DormDrax View Post
I have something similar to this http://www.teavana.com/rs/c/0910Cast...t/Tea_Sets.jpg

Except my Pot is taller and narrower (Same Volume though) also rose colored with dragons. I spent a fortune on the set... >,>
Went in to Teavana once, and only once, with my ex back in Atlanta. That place is the tea equivilent to a used car saleslot. They might as well be wearing alligator skin boots and have a cowboy hat lmao. Nice stuff, but they're overly proud of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinybetta View Post
Get the otto's in groups of 3+, and you can get some ghost shrimp. But I wouldn't put salt. My ghost shrimp survived a cycle just fine.
Yea, was gonna get 2 more for a total of 3 but.... they were out. So instead I got 2 of these hybrid Platys. Apparently a local breeder crossbred them with a different fish, has a really wild looking pattern. Will see how they do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
I'm not exactly sure what ghost shrimps are, but the pictures in google look like our common shrimp - abundant in rivers and lakes and ranging from fresh to brackish water. Here they are used as fish food .... and bait.

I agree on additives as being a waste of money. All you really need is a dechlor. Additives often does more harm than good (when not needed). Just keep up with water changes until the tank is cycled.
Righto, will keep that in mind. The only 2 additives I've purchased were de-chlor, and I just picked up a bottle of this API Stress Zyme stuff. Upon reading more into it and other's results using it, it seems as though it's a reliable additive for promoting a good and relatively quick cycle. The water clear stuff I have just came with my substrate, so I figure if it's free, I might as well lmao

Quote:
Originally Posted by DormDrax View Post
*Nods*
I saw something called a 'Mystery Snail' at PetSmart... I have dangling vines that go outside my tank... would it 'Mysteriously Disappear that way?
It's a ninja.
KennyBooBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 03:48 PM   #35 
KennyBooBear

Update: Chigurh is befriending the Platys. I've yet to see him take any sort of nip at them like he did with the shrimp. Hopefully tomorrow Petsmart will get more Otos in, as they have them on sale for a buck each :D

Oh and, as usual, it's useless without pictures so here goes.

Back to football for moi haha
Old 01-02-2011, 04:18 PM   #36 
JKfish

DormDrax, if you have issues (like I do) with seeing gravel slightly messed with poop and dead plant leaves, get yourself a turkey baster and dedicate it to your tank. As you see stuff that needs to be removed, you can remove it on a daily basis but not have to go all out and gravel vac.

Kenney, yeah, no boys and girls in the same tank, especially in only a ten gallon. If you wanted to it and take a big risk, you'd need a ginormous tank and a lot of plants and objects to break up the line of sight and very, very mild mannered betta fish. Oh, and you've got a pretty tank ^-^ . The sand is really nice, though about once a week, you'll want to run your hands through it so pockets of gas won't form.

Last edited by JKfish; 01-02-2011 at 04:21 PM.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:40 PM   #37 
KennyBooBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
DormDrax, if you have issues (like I do) with seeing gravel slightly messed with poop and dead plant leaves, get yourself a turkey baster and dedicate it to your tank. As you see stuff that needs to be removed, you can remove it on a daily basis but not have to go all out and gravel vac.

Kenney, yeah, no boys and girls in the same tank, especially in only a ten gallon. If you wanted to it and take a big risk, you'd need a ginormous tank and a lot of plants and objects to break up the line of sight and very, very mild mannered betta fish. Oh, and you've got a pretty tank ^-^ . The sand is really nice, though about once a week, you'll want to run your hands through it so pockets of gas won't form.
Good tip, will keep that in mind! And thanks, I really like the look it has. Have yet to really capture the clarity of it in a picture though. My bedroom lighting situation is rather poor lol