Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-03-2011, 12:14 PM   #11 
Cravenne

Great snail. I have one just like him/her and also a purple. Thanks for the pictures!

Oh...tank also looks great btw!
Cravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:09 PM   #12 
JD3P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
This is the tap water or source water- water pram numbers? if so, you have ammonia and nitrate in the source water to start...correct....or is this the tank water?

Your pH is fine and if this is the source water pH-once you check it in 24 hours it may be lower-once it gases out

What are the tanks numbers....
I'm sorry I think I misunderstood what you originally told me to do. The numbers I posted are for the actual tank water.
JD3P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:10 PM   #13 
JD3P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cravenne View Post
Great snail. I have one just like him/her and also a purple. Thanks for the pictures!

Oh...tank also looks great btw!
Thanks! And you have a purple snail!? Where did you get it from?
Old 01-03-2011, 05:28 PM   #14 
Oldfishlady

No problem..
Test: ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH
Fill a clean glass of source water(water you plan to use for the aquarium) to test-best to add an airstone too if you can for the 24h pH re-test of the source water

1. test source water
2. wait 24h and re-test this same glass of water (after 24h you will get an accurate pH)
3. add the Prime or dechlorinator you plan to use
4. test the tank water

One more test-draw a clean glass of water and add some plant ferts and test to see if they cause any changes-I would do this one with a planed water change and feeding so you don't waste any ferts-test the water with the ferts, add the dechlorinator and use this glass of water as part of your re-fill water...just a thought.....

Compare all these numbers:
This will tell you if you have ammonia or nitrate in the source water
Give and accurate pH with 24h de-gas
Give approx CO2 content of water-the number difference between the first pH and the 24h pH
Tells you what changes the dechlorinator has on the source water- if any
Tell you if anything in your tank is causing pH changes

Not something you have to do-just good information to have-base line-and can sometime explain reason for some results
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:23 PM   #15 
JD3P

Okay so I retested my tank today and the results were identical to yesterday.

pH 7.4
Ammonia 0.25 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate 5.0 ppm

I did a test on my source water (without any additives) and the results were:
pH 7.4
Ammonia 0.25 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate 0 ppm

I put the water in a cup with an air stone and I'll retest it tomorrow night. I'm going to wait on the water change in a few days to check the fertilizer and the conditioner.

With the levels that my tank is reading..does this mean that it's almost cycled? I would consider it a few weeks in because of the fact that my fish was in it for about two weeks with this current filter/ setup with only the few water changes between. From what I'm reading the pH should be at 7.0, but that 7.4 is okay. (Even though I'd like to lower it) And as for the nitrates, I've read in the book the test kit came with that below 40 ppm is ideal for freshwater, so I'm assuming it's fine at where is it and doesn't need to be at 0? Or does it? I'm also not really sure what to do about the ammonia...will it resolve itself, or do I need to change something? Should I be doing more than weekly 25% percent wc at this point, or more often? And lastly maybe this is common sense but I want to make sure. Do I check my water quality right before a weekly water change or after? I would think before...and than maybe after again? Don't mean to ask so many questions, just trying to figure this all out and get it right.

Last edited by JD3P; 01-04-2011 at 06:34 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:14 PM   #16 
Cravenne

I ordered the snails online from someone in my area. Much nicer looking than the ones at any of my LFSs. I'm hoping to get a clutch or two at some point, although I haven't been able to sex these guys yet.
Cravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:19 PM   #17 
JD3P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cravenne View Post
I ordered the snails online from someone in my area. Much nicer looking than the ones at any of my LFSs. I'm hoping to get a clutch or two at some point, although I haven't been able to sex these guys yet.
What is the name of the snail? Is it different from the mystery snail, or the same just different color?
Old 01-04-2011, 08:46 PM   #18 
Oldfishlady

You want to do the water test before the water changes
Since you have ammonia in the source water-the plants should help that especially since it is a fairly safe level
Don't worry about the pH-the Betta is a man made fish and really doesn't have a normal pH per se...its normal habitat is the aquarium after all....so no worries with the pH as long as it is stable it is fine....

You want to keep the nitrate under 40ppm-the higher the nitrate-it can affect the immune response of the fish-the fish will be fine with the slow rise in the nitrate-but the sudden change with a large water change or adding new fish that come from low nitrate water can shock them and they can get sick or die as a result...usually with high nitrate come low pH too...those sudden changes are a killer for fish.....

Since your tank water is showing 0.25ppm ammonia and 0ppm nitrite and 5ppm nitrate you are not cycled.....I would check your tank water about an hour after a 50% water change and see what the number are....since you have ammonia in the source water...when your number show 0ppm ammonia, nitrite and 5ppm nitrate...I would say the nitrogen cycle is complete

If you are using the API brand test kit make sure you shake well after the #1 bottle drops added to the test tube and shake the heck and bang the number 2 bottle before you add to the test tube...the number 2 bottle tends to settle and can give skewed readings as well as not shaking the test tube after the #1 reagent added...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:25 PM   #19 
sjones

That's interesting that there can be ammonia in your source tap water, OFL at what level does ammonia become a hazard to the fish? For some reason I thought 0.25ppm was bad?

I used prime in my tank and I see that it converts ammonia to ammonium but only for 48 hours..

Last edited by sjones; 01-05-2011 at 11:32 PM.
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:32 PM   #20 
JD3P

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones View Post
That's interesting that there can be ammonia in your source tap water, OFL at what level does ammonia become a hazard to the fish? For some reason I thought 0.25ppm was bad?
I find it strange too that my tap water would have ammonia in it. I even tested water from another tank to make sure the test kit wasn't bad lol. But than again the area I live in had it's water polluted years ago. Some plant workers threw drums with toxic chemicals into an area that completely polluted the water. Caused a whole bunch of health problems, and was finally "treated" but it's still gross and I refuse to drink it. So I'm sure that has to have something to do with it. And earlier today I was listening to the radio an they were sending out a warning to all residents in my area, saying they needed to boil all water because of a chlorine problem...so I decided on NO water changes today, lol..

Last edited by JD3P; 01-05-2011 at 11:38 PM.