Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-02-2011, 02:26 PM   #1 
darkangel216

Plant Problems

My 20g long aquarium looked like it was doing fine for the past few weeks, except I noticed that my anacharis are all starting to look more brown than green. It's still growing and all of the new growth comes out nice and green, so I figured they weren't recieving one or more of the chemicals they need to thrive. I was worried this might happen since there's only 4 bettas in the tank with tons of plants. Last week I purchased some Seachem Flourish and put a dose in the tank. I can't tell if it has helped or not, I figure it might take a week or so to see an improvement. Also I am wondering if the light I have may be the cause of some problems. It's the flourescent light that came with the hood, and unfortunately it doesn't list wattage. My anubias look mostly fine, though there are some areas of one or two of the leaves that look to be yellowing, the lace java fern still looks fantastic, the marimo ball is fine, the wisteria is fine at the top, while the bottom isn't looking as good, and the sagittaria subulata looks pretty good. My four boys are fine as well as the snails. So, any ideas as to what my tank is lacking for the plants?
darkangel216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:19 PM   #2 
Alex09

I had the same problem. My anacharis plant melted but I pulled off all the new shoots and created a new bundle. I then threw out the melting (original) plant. The new bundle of anacharis is healthy and doing fine (growing alot). I use API root tabs & Kent liquid plant food.

Perhaps you need more light? You said your wisteria was doing fine at the top but suffering at the bottom. I think this is a symptom of not enough light. Are you sure the wattage isn't printed somewhere on the bulb? it should be.

Hopefully someone more wise with plants (Calling out to OFL & vaygirl!) will chime in.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:29 PM   #3 
vaygirl

I had that problem when I bunched my wisteria too close together. The bottoms weren't getting enough light, as Alex said. My 16 is very deep and only has a 15 watt light. I struggle. LOL! I also had an anacharis and the thing flat out died on me. The leaves fell off and all that was left was stem. How many inches is your hood? That should tell you the wattage if it's a standard hood.

Honestly? I just throw stuff in. Some lives and I keep it. Some dies and I never buy it again. I had bad times with Green Temple Narrow. I tried and tried and tried but they melted again and again.

OFL is way more the expert. :)
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:33 PM   #4 
darkangel216

I've checked the bulb and the box that the hood came in and I can't find anything on the wattage. It's a 30" x 12" hood for my 20g long. My anacharis are planted relativly close together since I was trying to provide enough cover so my boys wouldn't constantly see each other. The wisteria is in two bundles on either side of my dragon decoration, the tops of which are providing a lot of cover for that area and thus could be keeping the light from getting to the bottom parts. I'll most likely be shopping around for a new light, though I won't get it until I'm sure that's what's causing the problem.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:36 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

With anacharis (Elodea) you have-Egeria densa and Elodea canadensis and they look a lot a like and often sold as the same plant...the E. densa is more tolerant of warm water and the Elodea canadensis is not very tolerant of warm water that we keep our Bettas in and it usually will start to weaken and die off...sometimes with this plant depending on which one you have may be dying due to water temp

I agree with the other post-in that it sounds like a light issues-with the anubias make sure the rhizome is not buried in the substrate and sometimes all you have to do is move the plant to a different location, however, with anubias they are tolerant of low light-I would remove the yellow leaves

Do you know how old the light bulbs are...if older than 1yr you may need to replace them
What is your photoperiod or how long do you keep the light on
Check the hood and area between the light bulb and water and make sure it is clean so you get good light penetration to the plants

And like Vaygirl....some plants do well and other do not from one tank to another and one location in the tank to another.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:46 PM   #6 
vaygirl

30 inches 'should' be an 18 watt bulb. If it were me, I'd try and get two side by side lights for a 5 gallon. I think they're 15 inches each and that would give you 28 watts instead of 18. I don't know if that's feasible.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:24 PM   #7 
darkangel216

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
With anacharis (Elodea) you have-Egeria densa and Elodea canadensis and they look a lot a like and often sold as the same plant...the E. densa is more tolerant of warm water and the Elodea canadensis is not very tolerant of warm water that we keep our Bettas in and it usually will start to weaken and die off...sometimes with this plant depending on which one you have may be dying due to water temp

I agree with the other post-in that it sounds like a light issues-with the anubias make sure the rhizome is not buried in the substrate and sometimes all you have to do is move the plant to a different location, however, with anubias they are tolerant of low light-I would remove the yellow leaves

Do you know how old the light bulbs are...if older than 1yr you may need to replace them
What is your photoperiod or how long do you keep the light on
Check the hood and area between the light bulb and water and make sure it is clean so you get good light penetration to the plants

And like Vaygirl....some plants do well and other do not from one tank to another and one location in the tank to another.....
That's interesting that there are two different anacharis types, I had thought that the anacharis in one store looked less "bushy" than the ones they have at petsmart.

I'm pretty sure the rhizomes of my anubias are above the gravel, though I will check again since I've moved plants around and may have covered one without realizing it.

I usually keep my light on around 8 hours a day and the light is, at the most, a month old.

@ vaygirl: I don't know if it's possible to put two lights side by side in a fixture like that, though the LFS I go to suggested a light to me that they said should work well for the plants. I'll post a link to it once I find it.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:26 PM   #8 
vaygirl

No, I meant two fixtures side by side instead of one. I don't know if it's feasible either, even that way. They might not fit properly. It's something you'd have to be willing to try and take back if it didn't work out. :)
Old 01-02-2011, 09:34 PM   #9 
darkangel216

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaygirl View Post
No, I meant two fixtures side by side instead of one. I don't know if it's feasible either, even that way. They might not fit properly. It's something you'd have to be willing to try and take back if it didn't work out. :)
Oh, I see what you mean now. That would be interesting to see, though looking at it, it would be a tight squeeze to fit two in there.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:47 PM   #10 
vaygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkangel216 View Post
Oh, I see what you mean now. That would be interesting to see, though looking at it, it would be a tight squeeze to fit two in there.
Yeah, that was kinda my thought too. If the 15 inch lights are even a hair too big they won't fit as well as your one light. I only thought of it because I've been trying to figure out a way to get two fixtures on my 16g tall bowfront and it just ain't happening.

I think if you find a 30in 6500k fluorescent plant light bulb, you'll be fine. You don't need a new fixture as long as yours is a fluorescent.