Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-05-2011, 11:26 AM   #1 
ghostgirl

new to bettas

I am thinking about making my spare 20 gl a community tank with 1 male betta as the focal point. I plan on planting rather heavily with caves on the bottom, a cave in the middle of the tank (suction cupped to the side of the tank) and a cave at the top (also suctioned) I went on AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor according to that suitable tank mates would be

1 african dwarf frog
5 trapdoor snails
5 kuhli loaches

I am new with bettas and still doing some research. Whom better to ask about compatibility then those who have been keeping them for years.

I know they eat meats; brine shrimp, black worms, blood worms ect. but do they also eat beef heart? I have a freezer full of meaty treats for my large tank and was wondering if I had to get anything different from.
ghostgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:44 AM   #2 
shinybetta

I would not put the African dwarf frog in. They aren't the best swimmers and 20 gallons is quite big. And they need to be kept in pairs. Kuhli loaches need sand or very soft substrate (no gravel). Are you sure you don't want any other fish? Neon tetras would look great with the betta!
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:07 PM   #3 
bettafish15

Agreed with ^

I had neon tetras with my betta, and they got along fine :) They were a little nippy, but only when I didnt get the food into their mouths fast enough.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 02:24 PM   #4 
ghostgirl

Thank you for the feed back. I love neon tetras and I agree they would look great. I had read that any brightly colored fish would provoke the betta, so I had written it off. So now I am back to thinking about them. I'll discard the ADF from this tank and plan them in another future build. Do any of your bettas prefer any plants in particular? I know my balas prefer amazon swords, the guppies love frog bit and my neons like anarcharis and other tall leafy plants.

I'm thinking a red betta would really stand out in the green foliage and the blue of the neon tetras.
ghostgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 02:27 PM   #5 
shinybetta

Mine love anacharis. if it is tall enough that it bends over on the waters surface, they will lay on it so they can reach the surface to breathe easier.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote