Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-26-2010, 08:20 PM   #1 
baylee767

Post My sorority/cycling log with pics

Okay I just got my 10 gallon tank yesterday. Today I started cycling! I'll make a log of my cycling and sorority.

Entry 1

Today I got some turquoise gravel and a testing kit, so now I'm ready to cycle. I just put a clean white sock in the tank with 2 cocktail shrimp, so the cycling happens quicker (Quick question: This is safe and effective to do, right? XD)

My plan is:

1. Put it shrimp V

2. test water until ammonia is 8 ppm X

3. remove shrimp X

4. wait for nitrites and ammonia to reach 0ppm and nitrate to reach 10-20 ppm X

5. do a 50% waterchange X

Here's a pic of my tank (no ornaments or plants yet) NOTE: You can't see the sock because it's floating lol
Attached Images

Last edited by baylee767; 12-26-2010 at 08:22 PM.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 08:30 PM   #2 
wallywestisthebest333

AWESOME! :D Good luck with your cycling! =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:08 PM   #3 
baylee767

Here's just a quick little update.

I added a small java fern that was doing great in Neons tank because plants obviously do best in a cycled tank with all those nutrients in the gravel than in an uncycled tank. And this plant wont start rotting for awhile and then getting green agian every week during a 100% water change now.

AND this java fern gets to have a few roots in real gravel.... I may have incadescent lighting for the moment but I'm going to be getting a CFL soon...
Old 12-27-2010, 05:03 PM   #4 
baylee767

Entry 2

Wow big change overnight. it's starting to smell so I didn't take a pic lol.

The tank is now cloudy and ammonia is at 2 ppm. I bet that little java fern is enjoying itself in there.

okay so heres an updated checklist:

1. Put it shrimp V

2. test water until ammonia is 8 ppm X

3. remove shrimp X

4. wait for nitrites and ammonia to reach 0ppm and nitrate to reach 10-20 ppm X

5. do a 50% waterchange X

I'm guessing the ammonia might reach 8 ppm tomorrow. I'm hoping it does because that shrimp is smelling....

And I'm leaving the lights on. When I get plants I'm puting in CFL's, but right now I'm using the incadescent lights the tank came with. According to my dad, warm temps. make the bacteria grow faster, and incadecents really heat the water.

Wish me luck.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:40 PM   #5 
baylee767

Uh, is anyone even reading this?

Update: The ammonia is at around 3 ppm, maybe 3.5. The ammonia needs to start rising FAST, because my dad told me "Tonight when you go to bed, no matter WHAT the ammonia levels are, we're taking those shrimp out of that tank." Because it smells. Now I'm glad I got 2 shrimps, it'll give off more ammonia much quicker than one shrimp.

TBH it only smells right next to the tank, I think I could handle sleeping with it so long as all my windows were open. I want the ammonia to reach probably 6 ppm before I get rid of the shrimp. I hope this ammonia rises fast....

Do you think my java fern is doing okay?
Old 12-27-2010, 10:48 PM   #6 
Alex09

Java fern is bulletproof. Dont worry about it. At all. Zip.

If you take the shrimp out early you can still put in fish food. Or even better, pure ammonia. Then you can get your 8ppm concentration instantly.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 03:51 AM   #7 
baylee767

I'll consider this entry 3.

Well my dad completely forgot about the shrimp, so I still have plenty of time! I tested and the ammonia is at like 5 PPM. 0.0 Now I'm confused though. I thought I could take it out but do I need a constant source of ammonia...?

Since this is basically like a tank setup log, I'll tell you what I got. Lol my dad got this ice cream set for Christmas with some sprinkles, sauces (like fudge... not like tomato lol) and two ceramic bowls. These bowls are a bit under sized, so my dad says I can have one for my fish tank. Luckily it is a natural shade so it won't stick out when I add my plants and stuff.

As I type this the smell is flowing in through my room of rotten shrimp. I think it's molding, but I'm not cutting open that sock to find out Lol. The tank heats up to 84 or 86 degrees when that light is left on all day. I'm guessing since I haven't really introduced anything there wont be algea. I hope. This is a stinky good bye...
Old 12-28-2010, 03:49 PM   #8 
baylee767

Entry 4:

I took out the shrimp today. The ammonia was somewhere between 4 and 8 ppm, which is what it needed to be. I'm going to wait a couple of days and then add a small ammonia source for a while when it starts dropping down. Updated checklist:

1. Put it shrimp V

2. test water until ammonia is 8 ppm V

3. remove shrimp V

4. when levels start lowering a bit add a small source of ammonia X

5. wait for nitrites and ammonia to reach 0ppm and nitrate to reach 10-20 ppm X

5. do a 50% water change X

I'll test the nitrite and nitrate levels later. Naturally the tank is still cloudy but I put that ceramic bowl in last night and luckily it doesn't stick out.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:25 PM   #9 
baylee767

Entry 5:

Today is day 4 of cycling. Ever since I've taken the shrimp out the water has un-clouded, but the ammonia is still the same as always. No nitrites yet, unfortunatly, but I can't be impatient since I haven't been cycling that long.

From what I understand this cycle will most likely take 2 - 4 weeks. Hopefully it will take 2. How long for the first of the bacteria to show up, I wonder. Maybe tomorrow... maybe in a week... But I hope this goes without any flaws. The checklist is the same as before.

I'm guessing this thread will become more popular when I start the sorority log.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:41 AM   #10 
baylee767

Update: I now have 28 watts of CFL lighting. Here's a pic with the light on and with the java fern and ceramic bowl:
Attached Images