Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-02-2011, 06:21 PM   #1 
Sweeda88

I am never feeding Aurora Freezed Dried Bloodworms again...

Since I gave her a freeze-dried bloodworm yesterday (mind you, only ONE), her belly has gotten HUGE and she is sitting at the bottom, only coming up for air. She kept spitting her food out this morning, and she is usually a chow hound. I'm not posting in the Disease section because I'm pretty sure it's just the bloodworm. I'm going to fast her for a few days, and see if that helps. I also DO have a heater now. It's at about 79*, which is great. I just hope she pulls through.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:44 PM   #2 
Jupiter

Did you soak the bloodworm before you gave it to her? Freezedried foods expand in their stomachs and can cause bloat if you don't soak them beforehand.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:05 PM   #3 
Sweeda88

I did. Also, her stomach only looks huge when I look at her from above. Could it be something else? She's usually so frisky! And now she's just sitting at the bottom like the her life is crap.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:28 PM   #4 
kelly528

Yup, not worth it. On top of bloating fish, the freeze-drying process sucks all the nutrients out of them.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:55 PM   #5 
Sweeda88

Well, I guess those things are going back to the store... Except that my other fish showed no problems from eating them. I think it's due to her tiny size. She's only 1 1/2 inches, including her tail.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:48 PM   #6 
1fish2fish

Yeah I never feed FD either.. no nutritional value is not worth the money IMO. When I want to give my fish a treat they get live brine shrimp from the LFS... lately their treat has been live white worms from my culture.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:55 PM   #7 
Sweeda88

Okay, thanks. I'll be sure to steer clear of freeze dried foods from now on. I don't exactly know how much live foods cost, but I've also heard tiny pieces of cooked, pulverized chicken is tasty and safe for Betta fish.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:58 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

I've never had a problem using freeze dried food but I presoak it and feed it only twice a week.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:47 AM   #9 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
I've never had a problem using freeze dried food but I presoak it and feed it only twice a week.
Drax loves those now... they... sit in the water for about 5 secs before he attacks them ehe... >,> he does get fuller but not to the 'Bloated' stages. And he'll eat like 3-4 in a meal. The dinner meal I just feed him 1-2 pellets.

If he fills up on the worms I don't mind, just means he won't be such a greedy pig and be fuller longer. (His mood doesn't change he still swims the same).

Also I thought FDBW's were healthier!
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:06 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

I know frozen is healthier but I don't want to deal with the mess and grossness. lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote