Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-02-2011, 02:56 PM   #1 
vaygirl

Is this normal?

Logan has taken to letting the filter push him into the gravel/plants and then he just lays there like he can't move for about 30 seconds. Then he swims out and goes again. I have it baffled but right under it, on the back wall, it's still pretty strong. Strong enough to shove him down and hold him there with his fins flapping like a flag in the wind. I mean, it's keeping him busy but I don't want him to hurt himself. Lol!
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 03:37 PM   #2 
kholder

Shamus does the same thing. I've got the filter slightly baffled, but I swear, he does the "getting shoved into a plant" thing on purpose. I have prepared to go in and save him several times and by the time I approach the tank, he thinks it's feeding time and comes directly to the front begging for food. I've notices he likes squeezing into tight spots as well, like between a plant and the glass of the tank. I think this is his way of chillin'.

I have also noticed him at time swimming across the back portion of the tank (were the straight down water flow from the filter is). He gets to the current, is pushed down, then swims out the other side. He'll turn directly around and do it again. I don't know if fish play, but I think this is probably as close as it gets.

Suggestion: Maybe put a soft plant (I have a plant with a fake silk flower head shoved down in it) under the filter flow so that when he does get pushed down he has a soft landing.
kholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:08 PM   #3 
vaygirl

I'll try that plant suggestion. He also crams himself into spaces. I guess it's betta busy work. At least they're active, right? Lol!
Old 01-02-2011, 06:49 PM   #4 
Jupiter

Betta sure do love getting into mischief, eh? I had a female who was in love with burying herself underneath her river rocks.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:57 PM   #5 
vaygirl

I think they're looking for stuff. Logan spends all day just looking around the bottom for stuff. Maybe your girl spied something in the gravel. Hehe.

I remember Tango once cramming himself into a hole in my driftwood that was about the size of a quarter. I almost had a heart attack.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:02 PM   #6 
kholder

Shamus, my newest guy, is somewhat of a bottom feeder, always searching. Ted, the older one, absolutely refuses to chase fallen food. I dropped a new rock (very cool, looks like a footprint-the size of about 2 lima beans) in Shamus's tank, he swam across the tank from it then began to approach it very, very slowly. As he got closer he got all sideways, like a cat, and stared it down.

This afternoon I placed the carbon monoxide detector on the table next to his tank so I would remember to buy a battery for it. He has flared at that think on and off for about 3 hours until I moved it.
kholder is offline   Reply With Quote