Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-13-2011, 08:51 AM   #1 
Cloelia

Question Betta died with no warning?

So, I have two bettas right now, a female (Ophelia) and a male (Merlin). They both are usually pretty happy, sitting here on my desk and playing around. But then last night, Merlin decided to die on me. I'll tell you all the details, and maybe you can offer some suggestions.

About 2 months after I got him, I noticed that Merlin's fins were being shredded...on a non-plastic plant...and it wasn't a water quality issue, I checked all the levels. So, freaking out, I took the plan out and replaced it with a plastic one (I know, but I wanted the offending one out and didn't feel right leaving him without anything till I could get a new one). To my surprise, it stopped. He seemed to like that plastic plant.

Then, about a month and a half ago, I noticed that he seemed to be having trouble grabbing his food. Upon a close inspection, I noticed that it looked like his top lip was separated. I kept watching, and discovered that it wasn't detached, it was connected to the rest of his body, but not flush up against it, more like a thin membrane was connecting it. I couldn't remember if he had been like this before, so I started looking around the internet but got no answers. He seemed fine, but what do I know.

So, I decided to take them home with me 3 weeks ago. I took the train, so I had to put them in water bottles (That were cleaned with vinegar and rinsed well) and then inside my backpack. They weathered the trip well, but they weren't very happy in their new smaller bowls (which happened to be their old ones). I figured they'd be fine for a couple of weeks. My mom keeps it cold in the house, so I regulated their water temperature as best I could with a heating pad. After a few days, both stopped eating.

But then, I got them back in their cups and we took the train back to my apartment. They were both really happy to be back. Then, last night, Merlin didn't seem interested in food. This morning I found him dead.

The weird thing is, his body is all contorted. He had this habit of going around the whole tank bobbing his head out of the water and also of digging through his stones (the glass kind). I've been worrying about having him jump out, so there's a lid over him.

Is it possible that he tried to jump and hit his head? Could those couple weeks of rather unsteady temperatures, no food, and high stress have done him in, even though he seemed fine when he came back? Something in the water maybe (I haven't been able to test levels lately)? Were his weird habits and weirder lip a sign of something that went unnoticed by me? Let me know what you think.
Cloelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 11:24 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Sorry for your loss...sometimes these things happen and we will never know why and it may have just been his time...hard to say.....question...

When you got back did you make a water change before you put him back in his tank and what was the water temp....to understand...he died within 24h of being placed back in his tank correct?
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 05:02 PM   #3 
Cloelia

It was a little more than 24h. When I got them back to my apartment, I let them come to room temperature (about 75) then I let their new water sit for about half an hour before I put them in.
Cloelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 05:30 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Did you bring water with you from home to mix with your apt water?...my first thought is pH shock but the other Betta was not affected, however, some fish can be more sensitive than others with swings especially if they are stressed and/or don't handle stress well to start...age can also be a factor with tolerance levels...it hard to say why....sometimes it just happens ans we will never know....again, sorry for your loss.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote