HAPPY 2011 EVERYONE!
Unfortunately, not so happy New Year for my 5 gallon betta tank at work.
There was a power outage on Friday morning -12/31/2010. I was off work until today and the power in my office didn't come back on until this morning.
Here's what I found when I got here... because of the power loss:
-Filter not running
-No Air Pump
-All inhabitants still alive
-Approx 1/2 an algae wafer with white fluffy stuff all over it
-More fluffy stuff on some of the plants
-Musty smells from the water
I assume this fluffy stuff is some sort of mold? I've never seen anything like it in any of my tanks before.
My first instinct is to move everyone to a temporary container, and scrub the whole thing, bleach dip the plants, wash the gravel.... essentially start over. But maybe this isn't necessary? I just don't want the stuff to spread and am not sure if a gravel vac along with daily PWC's will get everything out.
All equipment is up and running now. So in the meantime, I manually removed as much white stuff I as could and changed 1 gallon of water. Also, I am currently in the process of bringing the temp to 65'F, and then gradually bring it up to 70'F. I typically keep the temp at 78'F... so there's a ways to go to get to "normal."
I'm just not sure what the next steps should be
Thanks in advance for your advice!!