Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-03-2011, 11:24 AM   #1 
JD3P

Introducting older female to sorority

I bought a female betta about six months ago and she's been housed with my goldfish (so far no problems in terms of health, and yes I'm aware of the water temp and parameter differences they both need. The tank is in a room where the temp is steady not too hot not too cold.) I didn't know at the time I purchased her about these differences, but now I do. So once my ten gallon sorority is cycled and ready, should I introduce her with the other females? The reason I am worried is because she is much larger than the ones at the pet store that I'll be buying. My mother is convinced it's a bad idea, and just wants to keep her with the goldfish. She seems to believe that she is used to the goldfish and that I should just leave her alone. So what are your opinions on what I should do...leave her alone or introduce her to the sorority?
JD3P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:50 AM   #2 
SummerOj

I would introduce her.
Although they may be able to tolerate each other for an amount of time from everything I have read it is not recommended. Betta's need warm water (70-80+ degrees) and Goldfish need cold water. For the longevity of both fish, it is not recommended. If the sorority for your betta doesn't work, you can always put her back.
SummerOj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:03 PM   #3 
Panthera

I would introduce her with the other females. Size definitely doesn't matter. (Don't take that the wrong way), when it comes to a Betta Sorority. The alpha in my Sorority is the smallest and supposedly least aggressive one, and the biggest is on the bottom of the pecking order. Now she may be the Alpha, but once the other girls learn that she is, fighting should decrease.

A Sorority is really fun, but it is a lot of hard work. 2 of my girls died from the stress of being with the others, and now I have 5 in a 10 gallon who SEEM to be getting along well. Just try it out and see how it goes. If she's too aggressive, take her out. But as long as she isn't killing or severely injuring another girl, leave her in. It's a lot better then being with a Goldfish.
Panthera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:05 PM   #4 
JD3P

Thanks for the input guys, I'm going to put her in with the other girls and see how it goes over. I can't wait to set up the tank I hope it all works out with the fish.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:20 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

I would take the other girls out, rearrange the tank then put them in together. Then they'll reestablish the pecking order and territories.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 05:44 PM   #6 
PeggyJ

I tried putting 4 females together but they all picked at each other. I was afraid to leave them in there. Someday I'd like to do a whole bunch of females in my 55 gal tank. I think that would be beautiful with all of the different color possibilities. Right now I have them separated, but I was thinking of trying again.. I just dont want them to kill or wound each other.
PeggyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:43 PM   #7 
JD3P

Okay so....one of the girls I bought for the sorority (one of three, which are living in separate tanks for the time being) just died. I had her for about two days and she refused to eat and was acting kind of listless. She had her color but than it started to fade and than it would come back again. She also looked a little bloated when I got her but I figured she had just eaten bc she didn't seem sick from what I could see of her. My other betta is right next to her and is perfectly fine. So now I am going to Petsmart to return her tomorrow...every time I buy something from them it is either sick or dies. After this happening I am just completely discouraged from the sorority and don't think I should do it. Instead I'm thinking of buying a 5 gallon and just splitting it and putting the two girls in it that I already have. I was thinking of making it a Walstad as well. I'll probably just split my 10 gallon which was planned for the sorority into 3 parts and get three male bettas. =/ I really wanna know what was wrong with the fish though... I feel bad. I also had sand and two fake plants in the tank she was in...should I just throw all this stuff out or is it safe if I clean it?

Last edited by JD3P; 01-05-2011 at 10:47 PM.