Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-03-2011, 03:35 PM   #1 
Adastra

Danios Need Your Help!

I've been a long time customer of http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/ because of their great customer service, low prices, fast and low cost shipping, and of course, the variety and quality of the items they sell. A huge reason why I shopped here was because they did not offer any blatantly cruel devices for animal torture that we often see in the betta section and nano-tank sections of other pet stops.

However, I am very disappointed to say that that has changed. They stopped selling the much more reasonable Eclipse 3 and Eclipse Hex 5 kits in favor of this monstrosity: http://www.fosterand...26&pcatid=22526
I mean REALLY? 1.5G for one betta is bad enough, and takes enough ridiculous maintenance.. but SIX danios? Anyone with any sense knows this tank would be about 450% overstocked with that many fish, and aside from that, danios need space in order to express their natural behaviors.

Knowing how responsive their customer service has been in the past to my questions and concerns, I sent them a brief email conveying my disappointment with their choice to drop much more practical items for a novelty death kit, and the negative impact their selling of these items would likely have on their clients. I received a polite email the next day telling me that my concerns would be conveyed to the management. While this was mildly satisfying, I did not feel that the job was done.. so I also filled out a "customer testimonial" on the product. Each of the testimonials are filtered as well as edited for grammar/spelling/content, so I knew someone in the company was going to have to look at it. This was the response I received:

"Thank you for your feedback regarding the GloFish kit. We have contacted our Aquatic Facility director for his input and this is the information he has provided.

“These fishes are very hardy and are conditioned here at our Drs. Foster and Smith Aquaculture Coral and Marine Life Facility. When shipped, they are in top health and can withstand some fluctuations in water chemistry when first introduced. It is very important to follow the explicit directions supplied with each kit, which ensures the fishes safety. We have thoroughly tested numerous kits here at Drs. Foster and Smith, placing them in the hands of even novice or first time aquarists, with no problems. These small fishes do very well even in this smaller set up which has been thoroughly tested here at Drs. Foster and Smith. The filtration supplied with the kit along with following the directions and performing the proper maintenance provides a proper environment for them to thrive for many years of enjoyment”.

Please feel free to contact us with any questions or concerns you may have.

Sincerely,

Janis T
Supervisor
Customer Support
Drs. Foster and Smith

So yeah, I really don't like it when a company lies to me right to my face. I will not be shopping there or endorsing this site in any way unless they drop this product.

I urge other BF.com members to do the same and send your own testimonials with your opinions on the product. You can do so on the product page--near the description, there is a tab labeled "TESTIMONIALS," you should be able to easily submit your own there. They really do read them and send each person a response, so perhaps with enough people telling them the obvious truth, they will have to pull the product.

So please, if any of you have a little extra time today, write a few words about how you feel about this product! Thanks!
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:04 PM   #2 
JKfish

Will do. *sigh* and I was actually about to go buy a tank and supplies from them to set up a desk tank for Phoebe once she was done with her treatment.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:17 PM   #3 
vaygirl

Yikes. I can't imagine anyone shelling out that much money for a deathtrap so hopefully no one buys it. What a shame. I've used them in the past for my dog for the same reasons you stated. Very disappointing. I'll send them something too.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:17 PM   #4 
Adastra

I know, it's such a drag. This was the only store I felt like I could drop tons of money on guilt-free. :/

Normally I wouldn't bother people with something like this since it is such a common occurrence and typically nothing can be done. However, I do have a lot of faith in these people since they do have great customer service, and they have really stayed away from stuff like this in the past. Hopefully if we can get a big enough response they'll pull the product.

Thanks to everyone for their responses!

Last edited by Adastra; 01-03-2011 at 04:28 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:09 PM   #5 
Busted

according to the aqadvisor.com the stocking level is 193%. Though I think 6 is to much for that tank, It is up to the buyer to know how to care for them. And just because a product is sold at a store I like doesnt mean I will stop shopping there. After all companies are there to make money #1 and #2 provide the costumer with a range of products.
Busted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 04:14 PM   #6 
Adastra

Well, you are entitled to your own shopping practices, as is everyone else. :) I can't impose that on anyone, my goal is to bring it to people's attention in case they are like-minded about these issues. Even if you are not, it couldn't hurt for you to write a few brief words about what you think of the product.

I also wanted to take the time to update this thread, since apparently as a reaction to the flood of testimonials they have received about this product, they have disabled the testimonials tab on the Glo-Fish Kit page. If any users still want to leave their comments about this product, please do so here: http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...al.cfm?gid=996
Old 01-04-2011, 04:22 PM   #7 
Busted

I'll send a comment in ;) I mean after all that tank is to small for 6. And with a group of 5 or so being the recommended amount. I suggest they offer a different fish, or just leave it empty for the buyer to stock. Heck if they are needing to get rid of them this way, I'll take some for my 29g.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:01 PM   #8 
vaygirl

These are for people who just want something for the office to look at while they think. Those people are not likely to care for these fish in the manner they need. They're not in it for the learning experience and love of the fish like most of us are. These are gimmicks and I just don't think an animal should BE a gimmick. God, people are putting bettas in Christmas ornaments now. It's terrible what is done to fish in the name of decor.

I understand that it's the dollar that drives the hobby for these companies but I think you can make money and still care about the animals you're peddling. Or maybe you can't. Maybe money always wins out in the end. :(
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:05 PM   #9 
Busted

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaygirl View Post
These are for people who just want something for the office to look at while they think. Those people are not likely to care for these fish in the manner they need. They're not in it for the learning experience and love of the fish like most of us are. These are gimmicks and I just don't think an animal should BE a gimmick. God, people are putting bettas in Christmas ornaments now. It's terrible what is done to fish in the name of decor.

I understand that it's the dollar that drives the hobby for these companies but I think you can make money and still care about the animals you're peddling. Or maybe you can't. Maybe money always wins out in the end. :(
I guess some people cant hear a fish wine in pain, or cant really understand its body language like more common pets like cats and dogs. Plus money is the root of all evil, always has been from the time it was created.

Also, I just sent them a email expressing my concerns
Old 01-04-2011, 05:12 PM   #10 
JKfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted View Post
I guess some people cant hear a fish wine in pain, or cant really understand its body language like more common pets like cats and dogs. Plus money is the root of all evil, always has been from the time it was created.

Also, I just sent them a email expressing my concerns
correction, the love of money is the root of all evil. Money itself is only an inanimate object that pretty much symbolizes the ability to live.

I'll email them from another computer of mine, and maybe post something similar to this on another forum to get more people to do something.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote