Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-02-2011, 05:37 AM   #1 
TRISHIESfishie

It shipping a tank worth the cost?

My brother has a 10-15 gal glass tank with lighted hood, filter and some other accessories (not sure about a heater, I know bettas need one). It's one of the starter kits from Walmart. He bought it for his young brother-in-law (like 14 years old) and he was not responsible enough for fish. Anyway my brother ended up with it sitting in his garage for over a year. It cost him around $60 to buy. He said I could have it free. 1 problem, I live in California, he lives in Texas. He is going to price the shipping for me. But it will pry be around $20 if not more. My mom is going to Texas in a few days and she is going to decide whether she will bring it back for me or if I need to ship it. My question is, is it worth shipping? I know it can get broken in the process, and since it has been sitting for over a year the seals can be dried out. So I would do the 24 hour leak test. If I can get is shipped for $20 or less, it the tank worth getting? What are the chances of it making it here intact and able to be used? Has anyone ever had a tank shipped to them?
TRISHIESfishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:40 AM   #2 
Duncan13

Its really your decision. I would say no, since its old and could be leaky. But you decide if its worth the risk and the money.
Duncan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:18 AM   #3 
DormDrax

Have your mom bring it back... I'm sure if you ask all nicely and do a few things for her before she leaves she'll even check it for cracks and leaks before bringing it.
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:48 AM   #4 
fflores

just get a new one, but nothing from walmart.
fflores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:04 AM   #5 
Dragonlady

I would just get a new tank, too. When I moved across the country, movers kicked my 60 gallon cube tank despite the fact that it was clearly marked fragile and glass. Craigslist is a great place to look for tanks if you don't mind a used tank. I got a < 1 year old 29 gallon tank with hood and stand for $60.
Dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:27 PM   #6 
Cravenne

If you can get it for free, and your mom is willing to deliver it, then heck yes!

A year isn't that long to have a tank sitting..check the seals with a water test and you're ready to go.
Even if you have to reseal it..it isn't that difficult (with a little research)...silicone is a lot cheaper than a new tank kit.

That's just me though...lol. I'd never refuse a free tank!
Cravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:32 PM   #7 
purplemuffin

If you end up with the old tank and it leaks, just pick up some aquarium silicone and stuff.. Line the edges, reseal it.. Then it'll work like new! Easy!
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:19 AM   #8 
small fry

If your mom will pick it up. Good! If you have to pay $20 for shipping...not nearly as good.

You can get a new 10g w/ heater and everything at Petsmart for $40. If you paid $20 for shipping and still had to buy a heater that cost about $20, you actually spend more on the used one!

idk, but it might be alot easier getting a new one, unless of course your mother would be willing to bring it back (for FREE!).
small fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:16 AM   #9 
Astro277

well petco is haveing adollar pergallon sell until this wednesday. If i was you I would buy a new tank and ask to have to have the supplies to th 15 gal sent to you.
Astro277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:38 AM   #10 
MrVampire181

I agree with Astro.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote