Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-01-2011, 08:48 PM   #1 
Squirsier

New friend coming soon :)

Greetings!

First off thank you for these great forums ; I learned a lot about the Betta fish here even tho I had two before.

Last thursday I went out and bought a 10 gallon Tetra aquarium and some accessories. When I came home and installed everything, I noticed that the room temperature water I added to the tank would not be high enough, so the following day I went and bought a small MarineLand heater. Also decided to get a very leafy background for the aquarium... Water has been treated for chlorine, tested for PH and temperature is set to 79f... Should be good..

I have a question about the filter that came with it tho. It's the PF10 Filter, and from what I've read, Betta don't like strong currents... But the funny thing is, my first Betta, Sam, was living in a 2.5 gallon aquarium with filter and he seemed to LOVE swimming against the current at the bottom of the aquarium... The little guy would go upstream and swim swim swim than let himself go backwards, swim around the aquarium, and come back to the stream to swim against it...

Of course, he had quite a character... He once dug at the small rocks underneath a castle decoration so he could go hide inside (and scare the heck out of us because we couldn't see him at all) and one time I caught him resting on his side on the top of the pump in the aquarium, thinking he was dead... But when I went to grab him he swam away... That little guy lived for 2 years :)

So I am undecided if I should go for a less powerful filter/pump for the tank or see if my new friend will like the current...

Here's a pic of his new home (I have yet to go get him at the pet store tho, I'm thinking tomorrow... considering I setup the tank on thursday, should I still wait?)

Squirsier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:47 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the wonderful world of Betta keeping and the forum....look forward to seeing your new Betta when you get him....love your setup...it looks great.....good job....

Every Betta is different in their tolerance to water flow and filtration.....IME the younger the Betta the more tolerant they are to the water flow....the old males with the long heavy fins can sometimes tire easily with too strong of water flow and get stressed and sometimes too strong water flow can rip tear fins especially in the smaller aquariums...not all...but some.....however, since this is a 10g tank this will give the Betta more places to get out of the water flow if he wants or go and play in it....and some do love to play in the water flow and chase the bubbles...lol......

Look forward to more pics.......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:38 PM   #3 
Squirsier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Welcome to the wonderful world of Betta keeping and the forum....look forward to seeing your new Betta when you get him....love your setup...it looks great.....good job....
Thank you, and thank you also for your advice regarding the filter. I will monitor him and see if he likes it or not.. I went to get him today :) He's young, can't tell the age obviously but he's still small!

Introducing Vishnu (not great pictures, I know!)

He's hard to describe... He seems to come off as a shade of dark blue with some red fins, and darker blue/red on the nose, but when the light catches him he's light blue...

So far Vishnu seems to be happy. He's been very curious it seems about what's OUTSIDE the tank more than inside... He keeps looking everywhere (I see him do it) ; he inspected the heater, the plants, but didn't go much low underwater, he's sticking to the surface at the moment. I caught him making a few bubbles too - must be a good sign :)
Old 01-02-2011, 10:37 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

What a lovely fella you found-looks like a Crowntail...don't be surprised if he starts to change color to a deeper richer look to him...they tend to do this when they are placed in better water quality, stable temp and gets better nutrition on a regular basis.....nice find.....
Old 01-02-2011, 11:12 PM   #5 
Squirsier

Quote:
What a lovely fella you found-looks like a Crowntail...don't be surprised if he starts to change color to a deeper richer look to him...they tend to do this when they are placed in better water quality, stable temp and gets better nutrition on a regular basis.....nice find.....
Thank you :) I wasn't quite sure what he was but I really liked him on first sight :) I'll make sure to post pictures as he grow up :)

He's been swimming around more... tho it seems like he still has a fixation on that bottle of Captain Morgan next to the aquarium... Maybe he's a pirate a heart :D

Speaking of water temperature... There is one thing I am wondering... I have the tank right now at 79f with the heater... But when I will do water changes (I read confusing reports on that one, between 10 to 50% weekly?), how can I have the temperature constant all throughout? The water will be left at room temperature before being added but won't that lower the temperature in the tank too much?

Thank you for your advices, they are very appreciated :)
Old 01-03-2011, 07:05 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum. Your tank is beautiful and so is your fish.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:25 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

I am a 50% rule kinda person regardless of tank size and stocking-mainly because freshwater fish thrive with fresh water....that said...in 10g with one Betta you could most likely maintain water quality with 25% weekly water changes.

With 25-50% water changes using a bucket-you can use a thermometer and regulate the water coming out of the tap so it is within a few degrees between the new and old water-Fill the bucket-Add the dechlorinated (if on city water supply)-stir and re-fill the tank...dechlorinator is designed to bind with the chemical additive to city water so the water is safe to use on contact for the aquarium.

Be sure and unplug both the heater and filter before water change and plug them back in once the tank is re-filled-the tank should clear within an hour with regular weekly water changes.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:12 PM   #8 
Squirsier

Quote:
I am a 50% rule kinda person regardless of tank size and stocking-mainly because freshwater fish thrive with fresh water....that said...in 10g with one Betta you could most likely maintain water quality with 25% weekly water changes.

With 25-50% water changes using a bucket-you can use a thermometer and regulate the water coming out of the tap so it is within a few degrees between the new and old water-Fill the bucket-Add the dechlorinated (if on city water supply)-stir and re-fill the tank...dechlorinator is designed to bind with the chemical additive to city water so the water is safe to use on contact for the aquarium.

Be sure and unplug both the heater and filter before water change and plug them back in once the tank is re-filled-the tank should clear within an hour with regular weekly water changes.
Thank you for the tips! 50% it will be then! So I'm correct to assume that warm water coming off the tap is as safe as using cold tap water left for a few days to warm up? Covering all angles here - love the little guy :o)
Old 01-03-2011, 08:12 PM   #9 
Squirsier

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
Hello and welcome to the forum. Your tank is beautiful and so is your fish.
Thank you :o)
Old 01-03-2011, 08:26 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

Usually it is...however, not knowing your location and age of pipe, water heater...etc.....generally the warm water is safe, it is a good idea to run at least 1gal of water through the pipes to be safe to get any old water that could have any leached heavy metals-use of dechlorinator that covers heavy metals is also good when in doubt or old pipes etc.....like Prime...