Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-25-2010, 06:21 PM   #1 
baylee767

Question My 10 gallon tank questions

Lol I need to stop making threads about 10 gallon tanks. So I'm making this one and whenever I have a question I'll just ask it here. Here are my Questions....
  1. When I'm cycling my tank I'll obviously have to turn the filter on. Do I need to keep the tank a certain temp. and do I leave the lights on?
  2. My dad will be giving me his gravel vac from when his tanks substrate was crushed coral. Since his tank was saltwater, do you think i would be okay if I just rinse the vac in water to clean it?
  3. For people who own the marineland 10 gallon kit: Is it okay If I put a 15 watt flourescent light bulb in both circuits?
  4. Can I use a 25 watt heater since I live in Hawaii and it doesn't get too cold?
  5. can a penguin 100 HOB biowheel filter keep up with 5 or 6 Bettas?
Thanks!
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 07:48 PM   #2 
Alex09

1. Light is not needed. Keep the temp at whatever temp your betta will be in
2. Gravel vac should be ok to use
3. Not sure
4. You may get away with it - not sure though
5. It should, BUT, you will be dividing your tank 5-6 ways? Sounds like a bit much for a 10 gallon. Keep in mind that a 10 gal is only 24 inches ling (standard size). 3-4 should be better.

EDIT: OH, I think you are talking about a sorority lol. I think it will be fine. have you tried checking http://aqadvisor.com/ yet?

Last edited by Alex09; 12-25-2010 at 07:53 PM.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 09:14 PM   #3 
baylee767

Wow my filter rate is almost 200% 0.0 I think I should be good on that...

And yes I do mean a sorority lol.

Another question came up in my mind:

Can I use styrofoam? The tank had styrofoam in it and one piece is like an awesome little cave... I'd obviously have to put a rock or something on it but can I use it or will it pollute the water or something? *I plan on carving it and maybe painting it with aquarium safe paint*
Old 12-25-2010, 09:39 PM   #4 
Sweeda88

Styrofoam is fine. Someone made a whole rock wall for their tank with it. But you need to seal it with Aquarium Sealant.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 09:41 PM   #5 
SaylorKennedy

Yes you can use styrofoam in an aquarium. Lots of people make backgrounds out of the kind that you spray. I've seen some pretty cool stuff.
SaylorKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 11:07 PM   #6 
baylee767

Oh I got another question! This one has to do with cycling....

So my dad knows about cycling because he has a fish tank. He asked me how I'm cycling and I said the shrimp method. Well, then he says "But how are you going to get bacteria in the tank? The shrimp provides ammonia for thr bacteria, but don't you have to introduce it?" So, is he right? When I cycle, wont the bacteria just form from the ammonia produced by the shrimp? Or do I have to somehow introduce it?
Old 12-26-2010, 02:14 AM   #7 
baylee767

Here's something truly amazing that someone did.

http://www.aquariumlife.net/projects...oration/17.asp

Since I'm trying to create an amazing tank (hint: It might take awhile to set up because I want it to be perfect!) I want to do something similar. I'm low on funds though (spending it all on tank essentials) and I'm definatly not nearly artistic enough to make anything THAT good.... So how do I make some kind of great background like that simple to make? I'm going for a natural tank....

So styrofoam needs to be completely sealed in aquarium sealant to work? Ok I'll use sealant if I decide to use the awesome cave-shaped piece of styrofoam.
Old 12-26-2010, 03:54 AM   #8 
baylee767

Okay.. for those who were wondering... I think this is basically my tank kit. At least, that's the exact same tank in the picture. Blah by that I mean the tanks look the exact same in the pic... there is a piece of driftwood in the same place... patch of grass in the same place... exact same fish... etc.

http://www.amazon.com/TETRA-10GALLON...3353533&sr=1-6
Old 12-26-2010, 04:21 AM   #9 
sayurasem

Quote:
Originally Posted by baylee767 View Post
Lol I need to stop making threads about 10 gallon tanks. So I'm making this one and whenever I have a question I'll just ask it here. Here are my Questions....
  1. When I'm cycling my tank I'll obviously have to turn the filter on. Do I need to keep the tank a certain temp. and do I leave the lights on?
  2. My dad will be giving me his gravel vac from when his tanks substrate was crushed coral. Since his tank was saltwater, do you think i would be okay if I just rinse the vac in water to clean it?
  3. For people who own the marineland 10 gallon kit: Is it okay If I put a 15 watt flourescent light bulb in both circuits?
  4. Can I use a 25 watt heater since I live in Hawaii and it doesn't get too cold?
  5. can a penguin 100 HOB biowheel filter keep up with 5 or 6 Bettas?
Thanks!

btw how to cycle tank????
sayurasem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 07:34 PM   #10 
baylee767

sayurasem: If you need to learn how to cycle please start a thread about it. That way you're more likely to get answers.

When I cycle, will a sock be an okay object to put the shrimp in (I'm doing the shrimp method)?