betta fish

Old 01-07-2011, 12:17 PM   #101 
DormDrax

http://stlcarns.homestead.com/bladderworts.html

AHA!
Interesting tidbits.

Didn't have much to go on.

It is winter...

Got a few numbers of people from a Carnivorous Plant Society of St. Louis (BAD WEBSITE WARNING... because it's old and lame) http://stlcarns.homestead.com/bladderworts.html

THANK HEAVENS!

I found this site... http://mysite.verizon.net/elgecko1989/Utricularia.html Much better. It does say soil but... they can be in water too.

Last edited by DormDrax; 01-07-2011 at 12:34 PM.
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:32 PM   #102 
DormDrax

Api master kit

Uh... I finally got it... the results? ........................................... I dunno

PH: 8.0
Ammonia: None
Nitrates: None
Nitrites: 2.0

What Do I Do Now?
Old 01-07-2011, 06:47 PM   #103 
bettafish15

Your good! Those are fine levels ^^ The trick is, if the NitrItes are above 20, do a water change ;D (or is it NitrAtes... well, either one above 20 is bad) and do a water change if theres any ammonia too of course. xD
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:12 PM   #104 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettafish15 View Post
Your good! Those are fine levels ^^ The trick is, if the NitrItes are above 20, do a water change ;D (or is it NitrAtes... well, either one above 20 is bad) and do a water change if theres any ammonia too of course. xD
Uh... PH of 8 is fine?????

Uh... and the Nitrites where 2.0 when the scale on the test only goes up to 5.0
Old 01-07-2011, 07:16 PM   #105 
bettafish15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DormDrax View Post
Uh... PH of 8 is fine?????

Uh... and the Nitrites where 2.0 when the scale on the test only goes up to 5.0
Yeah, PH of 8 is fine, fish acclimate to the PH, so it never needs to be altered unless its like 9 or something. I guess 2.0 might mean 20ppm... I've never had the kit >.< So hopefully someone who does will chime in on that...
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:29 PM   #106 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettafish15 View Post
Yeah, PH of 8 is fine, fish acclimate to the PH, so it never needs to be altered unless its like 9 or something. I guess 2.0 might mean 20ppm... I've never had the kit >.< So hopefully someone who does will chime in on that...
Yeah thats it... it was 2.0ppm or something but... it was like the second to bottom reading... which is one of the highest so........ can't be good.

DANG YOU NITRITES! I HATE YOU! YOU TAINT MY PERFECT WATER! *Flails*

*Ponders* Could the shells be raising the PH? *Harumphs* Not that I'll take them out... since beside the cave, vine, and... well I dunno he seems to love everything in the tank XD he gets weird even if I just take the Anacharis out to trim out more dead parts. (HE likes to hide under it, it's so CUTE).

BTW...

PETSMART I ... I ... I ... was SO close to getting another BETTA *Blushes*

There... he... he was just stunning... *Sparkly Eyes* Only word to describe him was 'ELEGANCE'. He was a VERY deep blue CT where his fins were a silver that faded into almost neon green. I think he had blue eyes too but he was in that blue water. While all the other bettas seemed so... sad he was the only one still being hyper and interested in me when I moved my finger around. I really wanted him but I just couldn't!
I hope he finds a good home he was so cute.

*Edit* I was pondering my weird James Bond Villain names I'm going to give my fish and I thought of that cute Betta I was looking at at PetSmart and I ended up thinking of the Perfect name... now I feel bad D: I would have named him 'LARGO'

Last edited by DormDrax; 01-07-2011 at 07:32 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:00 PM   #107 
Alex09

Seashells could indeed raise PH. But at the rate you have been doing water changes I dont think its the shells lol. My tap water is so hard you can lick it... a PH of 8 is just fine.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:04 PM   #108 
vaygirl

No! That's not right. Nitrates can be 20ppm or under. Nitrite should be 0 but with you cycling, you don't want to stall the process. I would start daily 50% water changes. 2 is very high.

And yes, shells can raise ph. But if he's used to it, I wouldn't worry about it. Kilo's tank is 8.2 and he's just fine and dandy. Just keep an eye on it and if it's raising more, get them out.

You can check any new shells by letting them sit in a container in water and checking the ph before and after they've sat. But I've never used shells. I'm only repeating what I've read.

Last edited by vaygirl; 01-07-2011 at 08:13 PM.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:33 PM   #109 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaygirl View Post
No! That's not right. Nitrates can be 20ppm or under. Nitrite should be 0 but with you cycling, you don't want to stall the process. I would start daily 50% water changes. 2 is very high.

And yes, shells can raise ph. But if he's used to it, I wouldn't worry about it. Kilo's tank is 8.2 and he's just fine and dandy. Just keep an eye on it and if it's raising more, get them out.

You can check any new shells by letting them sit in a container in water and checking the ph before and after they've sat. But I've never used shells. I'm only repeating what I've read.
Does this mean I should be doing a water change now ooohh... *Groans*
I got the Testing Kit what more do you want! My Soul? *Reveals Jar with Hideous Shadowy thing in it that hisses at you* Ok maybe you don't want that... >,>
Old 01-07-2011, 08:36 PM   #110 
Alex09

Quote:
Originally Posted by DormDrax View Post
Does this mean I should be doing a water change now ooohh... *Groans*
I got the Testing Kit what more do you want! My Soul? *Reveals Jar with Hideous Shadowy thing in it that hisses at you* Ok maybe you don't want that... >,>
You're funny Oh, and if you dont want it, I'll take that soul off your hands *gets ready to do the Dark Arts*
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote