Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-04-2011, 01:18 PM   #11 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr2b View Post
I really recommend you get a testing kit (API master kit is the best IMO). Things can change in an instant sometimes. To cycle and establish your tank, you need to test daily and small water changes daily since there is a fish in the tank while cycling. Once your tank is cycled, it is established. But even then, you need to have the testing kit. YOu can't always make it to Petsmart or Petco in time to test the water if you have to.
That didn't answer my question... like if I went today with water... can they tell me?

Alright Alright I'll get a testing kit >,> I want to get another plant anyway... You all say (From my Album which is pretty current) that the Anacharis is bleh (BUT it's regrowing), my Java seems to be content (It's starting to get little baby Ferns on it's Leaf Tips (does that mean good health?).
I hear the phrase... Anubis thrown around alot... would that plant be ok? I hear it needs Drift wood... which would be fine. Just... I'm weird about cleaning would this wood discolor *Twitch* My perfectly clear water heh...
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:20 PM   #12 
dr2b

they probably could tell you. They could tell you by your ammonia level, nitrItes levels, and nitrAtes level. But if you have kept the tank so clean by doing so many water changes, I doubt it's cycled.

If you boil the driftwood, it will get many of the tannins out of if. That is what discolors the water. I boiled my driftwood a lot before I put it in the tank. Mine never changed my water colors.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:27 PM   #13 
vaygirl

I'm not trying to give you a hard time, I'm honestly curious... Why not just wait on the corys and pick up a testing kit of your own? Using guesswork when you're kinda new to fish keeping is really a bad idea. Unless you're taking your water in every day to tested, you're taking a chance.

Take that cory money, get a kit and do the work yourself. It's a great thing to KNOW what's going on. Rely on instinct when you've been at it longer. And when it's cycled (and it might only BE a couple weeks) get your corys and keep track on your own.

Personally? I won't trust the word of anyone trying to sell me something. Petco/petsmart will tell you all kinds of lies to get you to walk out with fish. But I'm a big ole cynic. :p

NOW! I'm off to eat a prosciutto, pear, and blue cheese sandwich....
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:31 PM   #14 
Alex09

Yes you should wait until you are 100% sure your tank is cycled. Even if you take a sample of your water to the store and it comes out at 0 ammonia etc, it doesnt mean the tank is cycled. It could be so clean because you are just so stubborn with water changes. Cories are scaleless fish so they have very low tolerance for salt, ammonia, and other fluctuations in their water. I suggest you calm down with the water changes and do ONLY a 25-40% WC ONCE a week (ONE betta in a TEN gallon? How much can ONE betta possibly poo?), Trim all the dead parts from your anacharis, and just... calm down. lol. Test your water every few days and then you will see how your cycle is going.

For cories you will probably want to get more gravel. They really like going around and digging through it. Sand will be even better but its hard to clean. Maybe a few more live plants (anubias does not need driftwood, just anchor it to a rock) and you will be set.

Last edited by Alex09; 01-04-2011 at 01:44 PM.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:43 PM   #15 
DormDrax

*Has stolen your sandwich*
It was dirty... It needed to be cleaned *Breadth smells like cheese*

I'm 20yrs old an am a Graphic Designer I'm used to being yelled at my professors the worst was my Freshman year in college when I was told in front of my class "If you worked for me... I'd fire you."

So... *Shakes head* You can't really give me a hard time. So be as brutal as you want, I'm used to it haha.

Ok ok I'll wait on the Cories *Huffs*
Since I really don't want to fiddle with a Sand Substrate yet... *Ugh*

But I REALLY want to do stuff to Drax's tank... I'm an Artist and overly Hyper creative... I want to make it *Twitch* Beautiful... *Smirks* BUT not fake. Real Plants, real stones and shells (Which I've done so far). But I want a tall plant... (The Anacharis was a failure and is now recovering by floating under the light) So how about an easy plant thats Medium to Tall in height. If you give me plant names to tend too I'll do that rather than huff about more fish. Because what harm can a plant DO if it's alive? Haha I mean even that VINE that Drax has loved from the start is actually POISONOUS *Cough* >,> he's lived with it 90% of the time I've had him so I think it's fine.

As for the Sales People of PetSmart..

You gotta give the old guy whose always around the one I go to.
Last time I was there I asked for plants and he just got me a bag of the Anacharis and handed me a JavaFern in a little cylinder thing.
I asked about testing kits and I was pointing to these test strips and other things and as I pointed he just kept shaking his head saying they were useless and didn't do a thing. So he obviously seems to care somewhat.

Ok so not to get distracted... and ... stuff... what Testing kit should I get? I don't really want to spend so much and get the 'Master' kit I've heard mentioned. Because they have SO MUCH there and well I get confused easily haha Just give me a Kit name and I'll get it.

Bottomline if ya didn't read all that:
What kind of testing kit...
and what kind of Plants can I add in (I'm a botanist yes but new to water plants so I'm all enthused) already got a JavaFern and... Recovering Anacharis.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:51 PM   #16 
DormDrax

Stop telling me to calm down! What do you think I'm doing? Screaming at the screen? No, I'm just really hyper sounding in writing. I'm probably more chill than you imagine

Anyway... last few notes...

Oh the Anubis doesn't need wood? Hmm ah ok good. How about grappling it to a shell? I did it with the Java and it's doing very well.

... well I'm a clean person and when I see a spec floating around the tank I clean. Even my cleanfreak mom said I need to not care so much haha they live in rice patties... not Sterile Hospitals.

OH! I want to get some plant fertilizer for the plants... I read that Anubis likes that... so whats a Mild Fertilizer I could get that wouldn't bother Drax. Don't just tell me what kind... give me a brand and a name haha
Old 01-04-2011, 01:53 PM   #17 
dr2b

I have a plant that has gotten very tall and grows like crazy around the tank... it's Cryptocoryne undulata. Undulata has gotten 10x bigger than my wendtii. It's very easy to take care of and it's really fool proof. Anubis is also an easy plant. Depending on your light strength, Amazon Sword is also an option for you.

API Freshwater Master test kit: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...:referralID=NA

I use Nutrafin plant gro fertilizer. Bryon recommended it to me. He also recommended Seachem Comprehensive to me.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:58 PM   #18 
DormDrax

Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Freshwater Master and Mini Test Kits

Can I just get a Mini one >,>
Old 01-04-2011, 02:02 PM   #19 
dr2b

Master contains everything you need. Mini kits come as ammonia only, ph only, or nitrates and nitrites together.

Looks like it's on sale right now too.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:13 PM   #20 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr2b View Post
Master contains everything you need. Mini kits come as ammonia only, ph only, or nitrates and nitrites together.

Looks like it's on sale right now too.
Oh fine... *Huffs*
But when I get it later you all better be around for when I post the results and start flipping out over some numbers >,> I'll do it too... I'll find some obscure result and flip out over it XD