Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-04-2011, 06:56 PM   #31 
dr2b

I honestly do not trust a thing Petsmart or Petco tells me. They told me that for plant fertilizer, I should use a water dechlorinator and so the chlorine doesn't eat my plants. Seriously.... buy the testing kit. It'll save you in the long run. That is just one of my many stories from the Petsmart fish department.

On another note, yay for new plants and gravel!!
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:58 PM   #32 
Alex09

Kyoto grass isnt aquatic. It will survive fine for a while as it is adapted to living in flooded areas but it will eventually die if kept submerged permanently.

Wisteria can be left as a floating plant I think. Not sure what you can do with the grass. You should get more gravel so you can properly plant your plants if you are interested in getting any more of them.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:01 PM   #33 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex09 View Post
Kyoto grass isnt aquatic. It will survive fine for a while as it is adapted to living in flooded areas but it will eventually die if kept submerged permanently.

Wisteria can be left as a floating plant I think. Not sure what you can do with the grass. You should get more gravel so you can properly plant your plants if you are interested in getting any more of them.

Ok I lied... the old guy gave me the Wisteria but I snagged a random plant while being dragged off *Face Palms* COURSE I would snag (On a Shelf of all Underwater plants) grab the one Semi-Aquatic. So how can I keep the Kyoto Grass alive in the tank?
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:02 PM   #34 
dr2b

Quote:

I was just getting ready to add that Kyoto grass wasn't aquatic. I didn't think I had heard of it before. But Wisteria is a great plant and will look great :)
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:10 PM   #35 
Alex09

About the grass: Found this online:
Quote:
The Kyoto grass/mondo grass will live AND grow in your tank if you take it out every few weeks to a couple of months for a few days to let air get to the roots. You can trim the dead stuff off at that time. It goes through a growth spurt after this is done but this is a sloooow growing plant in the tank.
Oh, and because your tank has high nitrates, your tanks isnt cycled. Good thing you didnt get those cories! So calm down on the cleaning and let your ank cycle itself.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:22 PM   #36 
DormDrax

Quote:
About the grass: Found this online:

Oh, and because your tank has high nitrates, your tanks isnt cycled. Good thing you didnt get those cories! So calm down on the cleaning and let your ank cycle itself.
But it's ok for Drax?

I asked the Lady but oooh how I bet some of you would have slapped her... her words were... "Betta's? Haha those fish are used to very poor water conditions!"
Old 01-04-2011, 07:24 PM   #37 
DormDrax

Still would perhaps like a few ideas of where to put these things *Points to picture in the 3rd page of the thread*

Maybe just set the Kyoto gently ontop of the cave so it's raised and easy to retrieve every now and then? Then... the others? Hmm? Hmm? I'm an artist I can't make decisions for myself XD
Old 01-04-2011, 07:30 PM   #38 
DormDrax

*Holds up Gravel Vac*

I want to do something with the tank... perhaps if no one is around to give me Creative ideas I'll just... clean the water...

*Suddenly has Button Eyes*
Since... Even the Proudest Spirit Can Be Broken... With Love...
(What I like Coraline and I feel like it's a good refer to me over cleaning)

*Lets the Gravel hose swing back and forth*

I assume I can just rinse out the stones and plants normally in warm water and just Anchor them... That I know, and just sink them.

and I can do all this without changing the water? Heh... guess I can sink them as long as I don't nail Drax in the head with them haha
Old 01-04-2011, 08:04 PM   #39 
fishman12

No offense, but you need a vacation and a massage. Really.

If you have shells, maybe you could make a cave out of those?
I might get some of those rocks...

Last edited by fishman12; 01-04-2011 at 08:11 PM.
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:05 PM   #40 
vaygirl

She said you have high nitrites? That's not a good thing for lil Drax to be swimming around in. I don't understand how these petco people get jobs working with fish. Nitrites are poisonous. I don't know what 'high' nitrites are but if it were me, I'd be doing daily 50% water changes. No gravel vacuuming. Just water out, water in.

And yeah, you can just rinse the stones. Do it in tank water though. I don't think they'll like chlorine. Happy planting!
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote