Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-04-2011, 06:38 PM   #11 
scootshoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeda88 View Post
I'm talking about THIS kind of shark.... http://www.petco.com/product/101108/...shwater%20Fish
Looks like a Red Tail shark. They cool when they small but they get territorial when they get larger. He's gonna eventually find something below a cave etc that he considers his. Would he challenge a betta if they go near...I guess you can try and find out,
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:39 PM   #12 
DormDrax

Quote:
I'm talking about THIS kind of shark.... http://www.petco.com/product/101108/...shwater%20Fish
I know that haha hence the Sarcasm.
Just Sharks just sound like a bad idea anyway from common sense for a Betta.
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:50 PM   #13 
Sweeda88

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootshoot View Post
Looks like a Red Tail shark. They cool when they small but they get territorial when they get larger. He's gonna eventually find something below a cave etc that he considers his. Would he challenge a betta if they go near...I guess you can try and find out,
I was explaining something, not saying I was going to get one.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:57 PM   #14 
scootshoot

Quote:
I was explaining something, not saying I was going to get one.
My bad. Am too lazy to read pages of each individual post. I just saw the thread title, "Betta Compatibility Guide" alongside a Red Tail Shark pic so "assumed" it was related to the thread title,
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:04 PM   #15 
Sweeda88

It's ok. lol
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 04:43 AM   #16 
shellbelle1982

I would like to say thanks for this Betta Compatibility Guide. I'm new to the world of betta's and I wanted a list of what is good with a betta and I get so many people saying different things.

my mom wants to buy my a Bristlenose Pleco and the LPS said that was fine for my 12 gal tank but I have read on another thread here that is wasn't and my mom isn't budging on getting something else.

Is it just trail and error?
shellbelle1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 06:11 AM   #17 
Lupin

Location: Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellbelle1982 View Post
I would like to say thanks for this Betta Compatibility Guide. I'm new to the world of betta's and I wanted a list of what is good with a betta and I get so many people saying different things.

my mom wants to buy my a Bristlenose Pleco and the LPS said that was fine for my 12 gal tank but I have read on another thread here that is wasn't and my mom isn't budging on getting something else.

Bristlenose plecos are absolutely fine with bettas however they do need plenty of space so a 12g is not one of them. If she insists, upgrade to 20g.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 06:15 AM   #18 
Lupin

Location: Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinybetta View Post
Bristlenose Pleco: Needs driftwood to be healthy. If put in a tank of ten gallons alllow lots of driftwood, rocks, etc for the pleco, as this increases the amount of space they have for feeding and exploring. The albino variety is generally smaller. Tank size: 10 gallons +

Kuhli loaches: Require sand or soil to dig in. Must be kept in groups of 3+. Sensitive to salt and medications. Tank size: 10 gallons+

I disagree with these tank sizes recommended for both fish. They should have been adjusted to 20g+. These fish are not absolutely happy with the limited space provided by tanks smaller than 20g. If you insist a pleco, otos will work fine for anything less than 20g.

Kuhli loaches may be small but they are far from happy of limited space. They like to swim back and forth around the tank.

Quote:
Cichilids
Not all cichlids. In my experience, a large spacious tank will permit bettas to coexist well with discus, angels and rams.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:33 AM   #19 
shinybetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin View Post

I disagree with these tank sizes recommended for both fish. They should have been adjusted to 20g+. These fish are not absolutely happy with the limited space provided by tanks smaller than 20g. If you insist a pleco, otos will work fine for anything less than 20g.

Kuhli loaches may be small but they are far from happy of limited space. They like to swim back and forth around the tank.

Not all cichlids. In my experience, a large spacious tank will permit bettas to coexist well with discus, angels and rams.
Sorry about the bristlenose pleco. The BN pleco does need 20 gallons. I hear tons of stories about happy kuhli loaches in 10 gallons. Hmm, maybe in 15 gallons? And sorry about the cichilids. I was thinking african and south american.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:35 AM   #20 
shinybetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellbelle1982 View Post

If you don't have enough money for the 20 gallon, use a clear rubbermaid. I use those for fish that I want, if I don't have enough money for a glass aquarium.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote