Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-27-2011, 10:00 AM   #21 
Lupin

Location: Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinybetta View Post
Sorry about the bristlenose pleco. The BN pleco does need 20 gallons. I hear tons of stories about happy kuhli loaches in 10 gallons. Hmm, maybe in 15 gallons? And sorry about the cichilids. I was thinking african and south american.
A 15g is borderline appropriate. They tend to be happier with plenty of space to cruise around however.

Discus, rams and angels are all South Americans.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:08 AM   #22 
shinybetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin View Post
A 15g is borderline appropriate. They tend to be happier with plenty of space to cruise around however.

Discus, rams and angels are all South Americans.
Sorry again, I mean the south american cichilids that aren't discus, rams, and angels. You see them in stores as assorted south american cichilids.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:12 AM   #23 
thestompa

Can i put algae eater fish and some neon tetras. It will fine right? My betta sometimes chase the neon tetras fish.
thestompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 01:49 PM   #24 
shinybetta

It all depends on your betta. Neon tetras are a gamble, because they are bright colored. And what is the algea eater fish?
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:33 PM   #25 
gmd1800

I think the algae eater fish this person is referring to is a Chinese algae eater. I asked about them in another thread and it was a resounding no. They get bigger and as they do, they crave meat (I think) and will suck the slime off the bettas. Someone correct me on this if I'm wrong.
gmd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:56 PM   #26 
LolaQuigs

How big of a tank do you have, thestompa? And what kind of algae eater are you thinking of? People have had success keeping Siamese Algae Eaters with bettas. They are usually good in community tanks, though they can occasionally get aggressive as they get older so you have to keep an eye on things and have a backup plan just in case. But Chinese Algae Eaters can get extremely aggressive and generally should not be kept in community tanks.

Last edited by LolaQuigs; 02-27-2011 at 09:59 PM.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:22 PM   #27 
Slipstitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinybetta View Post
If you don't have enough money for the 20 gallon, use a clear rubbermaid. I use those for fish that I want, if I don't have enough money for a glass aquarium.

They make 20 gallon rubbermaids?! O.O
Slipstitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:33 PM   #28 
thestompa

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaQuigs View Post
How big of a tank do you have, thestompa? And what kind of algae eater are you thinking of? People have had success keeping Siamese Algae Eaters with bettas. They are usually good in community tanks, though they can occasionally get aggressive as they get older so you have to keep an eye on things and have a backup plan just in case. But Chinese Algae Eaters can get extremely aggressive and generally should not be kept in community tanks.

I just use small tanks.(not so small). My algae eater is smaller one. I dont know what species it is. They just sit there and do nothing. MY betta is doing good with neon tetras and algae eater. Sometimes MY betta chase the neon tetras. But its ok. Not Usually.
thestompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:45 PM   #29 
LolaQuigs

How many fish do you keep in your small tanks, and exactly how small are they?

Do you have a picture of your algae eater? Many of them can get pretty good-sized, and like I said, some species will get way too aggressive for a community tank. It might seem ok now, but depending on species it could outgrow its tank or become aggressive.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 02:51 AM   #30 
shellbelle1982

What is a rubbermaid? never came across that before.

And it's not the money side that I havn't got an 20g it's the space in my bedroom.
shellbelle1982 is offline   Reply With Quote