Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-04-2011, 02:12 PM   #11 
purplemuffin

I actually use a one gallon bowl to help with water changes haha, I can't take the whole tank to the sink, so I just pour water into the bowl and transport that back and forth! :) But I think it would be a good hospital tank, or just for shrimp or even just a planted tank! Water and beautiful live plants look beautiful just by themselves!
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:27 PM   #12 
jessiepbg

If I were you, I'd hold onto the little 1 gallon as an emergency tank or a holder tank for big water changes and keep an eye on the clearance aisles in petsmart, petco, walmart, target, etc. for good deals. I picked up the tank that started this fish obsession at target for $11.50. It was a 1.5 gallon with a light, filter, and fake plants. It needs lots and lots of water changes to keep it clean, but my little crowntail seems pretty happy in it. Right now is a great time to go deal shopping, since the stores are either bringing in their spring merchandise or just trying to get rid of things that didn't sell over Christmas. You'd probably do best with a 2.5 gallon tank or so, just so you don't have to change the water as frequently and so you can keep a snail or shrimp in there as a tank buddy. Just be careful with shrimp as certain bettas think they make great snacks!
jessiepbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:28 PM   #13 
KerryF

Sounds like I should keep it, just in case. If I want to get a tank buddy, it'd make it even more important not to skimp on the size. Thank you.

KerryF
KerryF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:38 PM   #14 
Oldfishlady

In my opinion, experience and experiments that I have conducted in regards to tank size, husbandry, growth & development, swimming needs and general fin health with this species of fish

Care or water changes are the same with 1-3gal tanks based on ammonia levels produced-in unfiltered-unplanted tanks

Betta response to tank size differs based on-age, health, fin weight/size, filtration and live plants

With proper husbandry-heavy fin older males can thrive long term in 1gal-3gal tanks and swimming needs met

Regardless of tank size a Betta can be neglected equally in both- the 1gal or 10gal tank when proper care and nutrition are not provided.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:45 PM   #15 
Sweeda88

I'm glad I still had my 1 gallon lying around. They divider situation for my 10 gallon didn't work out exactly how I wanted it, so I was only able to house 2 Betta fish in it. So my 1 gallon has my new HM in it until I can get a larger Kritter Keeper next week.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:25 PM   #16 
fflores

I have a 1 gallon on my desk

I change his water 2 or 3 times a week... feed him when i get in and when i leave... he has a heater and is very active while i'm there. I have had him in there for a month. i might be getting him a slightly bigger tankand use that tank for something else down the road
fflores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 05:43 PM   #17 
Tomsk

I must give you a big salute Kerry for actually researching before getting a fish for your tank../salute
A larger tank will benefit both the fish and yourself (especially if your a newbie fish keeper,the larger capacity of water will allow some errors of water quality judgement).
Personally I prefer something around 5G and filtered/heated (heated is important,filter means water water quality & so less water changes per week) also that kind od size means you can also add a few shrimp (when it is cycled..and the Betta doesnt see them as a walking meal ) for extra enjoyment.

Anyway,back to my original reason to reply.Take your time to pick a tank/set-up and look for a fish you really like and you will enjoy watching your choice and become good friends with your new fishy friend

Tomsk
Tomsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:57 PM   #18 
KerryF

Thank you,Tomsk. I had Koi many years ago, and accidentally killed them because I replaced their water with contaminated containers, for which I've never forgiven myself. I have also bred and raised German Shepherd Dogs, and I felt more comfortable placing dogs and puppies with people who had done their homework about the breed, housing and the commitment.
My big tank is in storage, and I live in a very tiny space right now. If Whatever I do, I want to do it right.
I appreciate everyone's advice and opinions.

KerryF
KerryF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:32 PM   #19 
cesitlie95

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflores View Post
I have a 1 gallon on my desk

I change his water 2 or 3 times a week... feed him when i get in and when i leave... he has a heater and is very active while i'm there. I have had him in there for a month. i might be getting him a slightly bigger tankand use that tank for something else down the road
I keep my fish in a one gal too and I heard it's ok as long as you do frequent water changes, which I don't mind doing :)
btw- I love your fish's color!
cesitlie95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:50 PM   #20 
HayrideHaunter

oh wow...I didnt realize how small a one-gal looks...I was beginning to doubt the size of my tank and feel bad for having a smaller one...but my Marbles is happy...never been sick, never tail-bit (ive had him for about 3 weeks now...so i figure he's started off pretty good?)...in comparison to the 1gal i think mine might be two? I dont know but it makes me feel better...and he's given me one bubblenest, so that means he's alright, right?
HayrideHaunter is offline   Reply With Quote