Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-04-2011, 01:02 PM   #1 
BettaCavy

I think my fish may be dying (URGENT help)

A lot of the 'questions you should answer' form does not apply because I have had Fidget less than 24hrs so I'll just do a brief sum-up:

2gal tank, heated between 78* and 79*

I brought Fidget home yesterday from the store. I had lost my previous and first Betta the day before, but had done a full scrub out (just hot water no soap) of the tank and changed the water and such before putting Fidget in. Water is conditioned, no I do not have a water test kit.

Fidget was INCREDIBLY active at the store when I picked him up, but slowed down a little while I was transitioning him to the new tank. (took 5 hours to transition, letting him float to adjust to temp first, then gradually adding the new water) He swam around a bit yesterday but mostly floated near the top, which I put down to stress from the transition.

This morning he was a bit droopy--I offered pellets but he refused--but after a bit he was playing around, in and out of the cave he has. That was two or three hours ago. Just now, when I went back up to my room to read/watch him, he was lying on the bottom of the tank looking profoundly dead, did not respond when I tapped the tank. I took the top off to check and he zipped right up, but since then he's been lying on the bottom of the tank. It looks like there are patches of silver or white on his face and he's sort of twitching, like he's trying to swim but just can't do it all the way.

I'm trying to get a decent quality picture but it's not gone well thus far.

Oscar, my first Betta, had similar symptoms just before he died, although they were also accompanied by what appeared to be gasping for air and bloating.

...I have NO IDEA what this is (it doesn't /look/ like pictures of velvet or ick I've seen on the web but as this is my first experience with Bettas I'm hardly an expert) and am afraid Fidget is going to die >< please help!
BettaCavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:10 PM   #2 
DormDrax

I'm still sorta a N00b myself but I've learned alot from this site already so... perhaps I can shed ... (Even it's just a little) light on what's possibly going on.

1. It takes time for Betta's to warm up to you, so perhaps he's just shy.

2. err silver patches? Pictures are a must... oh don't worry just post what you can manage. Even if it's a horrid picture alot of people (And I'd try to figure it out as well) can tell whats wrong.

3. Don't Panic! It could be nothing at all! Betta's are picky eaters sometimes and will refuse to eat for days, try soaking the pellets, and soaking them in garlic.

4. May be sleeping when at the bottom. Betta's do go into a trance for awhile and don't move much and or are robotic (Part of the brain is asleep but they sometimes still swim).

5. Show pictures...
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:20 PM   #3 
BettaCavy

Yeah, I wasn't so much worried about the not being hyperactive thing and the not eating as the random patches and the dead-looking-ness.

http://i51.tinypic.com/16ad7ix.jpg

http://i51.tinypic.com/2r3f5ag.jpg

2 pics of Fidget, the first one was the best I could get as far as the silver patches go, the second one was taken when he was twitching on the bottom.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:29 PM   #4 
DormDrax

Interesting...

Nothing seems to strike me as off.
I'm sure an expert will swoop in and take over in a few minutes now that you have pictures.
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:39 PM   #5 
BettaCavy

Haha thank you :) I very well may just be paranoid...I don't want to become some sort of terrible serial Betta killer ><
Old 01-04-2011, 01:49 PM   #6 
Adastra

The coloration looks fairly normal. As for his behavior, keep in mind that it is very cold in most of the United States right now, and this guy probably was shipped in from someplace even colder than Maryland. Having to wait on the truck in cold weather, often when the fish aren't packed properly, can have a terrible effect on them in the store and subsequently, in your home.

Just take your time with him and warm him up slowly. Try not to poke your head in too much and stress him out, and leave the tank dim. It might take him a few days to come back from the shock of shipment along with normal pet store blues. In the meantime, maybe you can tempt him with some high quality food like live blackworms or frozen food.

It may just be the angle of the camera, but the fish may be bloated--this may be why he's having trouble moving around in the water. This is a pretty normal reaction to cold temperatures, and once he's in warm water consistently his metabolism should start moving normally again and he'll pass the waste in no time. His appetite will probably return once the constipation is cleared up.

What happened to your other fish that caused it to die? Maybe we can help you avoid problems in the future if you tell us what happened in the past.

Last edited by Adastra; 01-04-2011 at 01:52 PM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:55 PM   #7 
BettaCavy

Here is a pretty detailed account of Oscar's short life as I knew it.

I will keep the tank dim--I read somewhere that a towel over the tank may help him adjust, is this a good idea or overkill?
Old 01-04-2011, 02:16 PM   #8 
Adastra

Aw, I read your other thread. Poor little guy. I think this new fish has a much better chance since you've gotten him a heater and he's starting out with a 2G tank instead of a 1/2 gallon. He should perk up with regular water changes and maintenance--for a 2 gallon unplanted, unfiltered and uncycled tank, this is going to take a lot of effort on your part.

A tank this size should have a 100% water change every three days. If you have a test kit or if you're willing to have your water tested for free at a local pet store a few times a month to start with, you can figure out a slightly different routine that works for you that includes partial water changes, like 50%, 100%, 50%. However, 100% changes are necessary because it is the only way to keep your tank consistently clean. Only filtered, cycled tanks can thrive on partial water changes alone. Adding live plants like java moss or java fern will give you some wiggle room with water changes because they consume your fish's waste.

As for the towel idea, if your heater is not adjustable, it isn't a good idea. You could use a light sheet or pillowcase loosely around the tank to diffuse the light, something that would not retain the heat so much.

How close are you to NVA? If you're close by I can give you some almond leaves and some live plants. I'm practically swimming in moss right now.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:27 PM   #9 
BettaCavy

I did a 100% earlier but Fidget keeps going and lying on his side and it's really freaking me out >< I'm trying to stay away and not bother him but when I look up and he's sort of lying on his side and NOT MOVING it makes me think bad things about dead fish.

I'm not at all close to NVA, thanks though...I will try and pick up some live plants if I can, but unless I can go about a week without the fish dying my parents aren't going to be up for me spending more money on said fish -_-
Old 01-04-2011, 08:50 PM   #10 
baylee767

The very first thing that came to my mind when you mentioned the silver patches was fungus. I don't know much about it, but can someone more expirienced in this field post about it...?
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote