Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-04-2011, 03:29 PM   #1 
vaygirl

Huey the dwarf puffer!

I can hardly ever get pics and I know some of you want one. I managed to get two pics of my lil man! So... cuteness comin....

vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:33 PM   #2 
beat2020

Lol I've always been a fan of Huey. He's soo cute. :P
beat2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:58 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Awesome.....I wanted/planned to get a pair of freshwater puffers this winter for a new NPT I set up and try to spawn them and I never did..ended up with a Betta in that tank...go figure....lol...........I love the puffer fish.....so full of personality just like Bettas and can be equally aggressive if not more so....laffs......and with all my snails....puffers would be well fed.....

Have you ever tried to breed...In the research I did- the freshwater dwarf are suppose to be fairly easy unlike the brackish species...I have kept them (GSP) and they are pretty neat fish too...but you can only have one GSP.... species only tank just like male Bettas....

How long have you had him...do you keep him alone in the 6gal and what do you feed.....lucky you...I still want to get a pair of true freshwater puffers...little puffer fry would be so cute....lol....Huey is the perfect name too....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 04:01 PM   #4 
tsoto80

aawwwww such a cutie pie
tsoto80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:51 PM   #5 
vaygirl

I do keep him alone in his 6. I've read so many conflicting sites. Some say they can live together in a species only tank as long as each puffer has five gallons. Some say they should be all alone.

I feed him frozen bloodworms daily, 5 or 6. He eats until he can't eat anymore, literally he'll spit them back out when he's full. He eats them straight from the tweezers just like my bettas. Sometimes (like today) I throw 6 or 7 small pond snails in with him. They are voracious and they have an incredible metabolism. His fins move so fast they're a blur. He can see very well. In fact, he can see me coming with the camera from across the room and he hides.

My husband named him Huey cause he looks like a helicopter. We were calling him Nugget when I first got him because he was only about a 1/4 inch, if that. I had to put a mesh bag over the filter, he was so tiny. Here's a lil movie. Gosh he was small.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pysdIKs4d50

I think I'll have had him a year in March? He's never had a single health issue. Never missed a meal.

You should totally get the dwarfs. They BURST with personality and they're as smart as my bettas. I'm in love with a Porcupine puffer at my LFS but I don't have room for a tank that big in my 2 bedroom townhouse. LOL!
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:58 PM   #6 
xswornxoffxjello

Awww! Dwarf puffers are so cute!
xswornxoffxjello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:16 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

I have read that they need something hard to eat on occasion like snails to keep their beak worn down...I remember once I thought the GSP had something caught in his mouth when it was really his tooth/beak from not getting the right diet....I clipped it and he was fine...this was before I had the internet and planted tanks with lots of snails so this was a long time ago...lol....he lived for about 3 years after that....

I have read that too...mixed report of how to keep the freshwater dwarf type....both with and without other species and species only 2-5 gallons per fish...etc....I would think because of the slow swimming they wouldn't require more than 2-3gal per fish....but that is just my opinion based on how they swim..the GSP I had were slow and didn't cover much space but they got to be about 3.5 inches SL...and so true packed full of personality......and personable.....lol.....

I need to look for some...now I really want a pair after seeing Huey...so cute.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:23 PM   #8 
dr2b

He's pretty cute! This is my first time seeing Huey :)
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:30 PM   #9 
CodeRed

... D'awww :D Adorable video. He just looks like he... hovers, I guess, lol. Just floating around...
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:24 PM   #10 
1fish2fish

Really cute! I really want one but it'll have to wait.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote