Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-05-2011, 12:04 PM   #1 
monroe0704

I have the worst luck with pairs...

So now I've conditioned and attempted to spawn 2 different pairs... both without success! The copper dragon HM pair seemed like it was going to be a success; they were showing all the signs of being interested, but in the end after a few days of letting them interact, they never embraced. I have a feeling Neffy wasn't ready.. but I was unsure about the barring possibility, so I decided to try her out anyways.

Any tips?? I'm following all the advice previously posted... my first attempts are in a bare bottom tank, I have tons of hiding spots for the female, conditioned them for 2 weeks prior, introduced the female a day before releasing her (maybe more time in this step??), the males built bubble nests, the water is warm. Gah I'm just so confused lol. It'd be my luck though that all my pair are just not compatible haha.
monroe0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:13 PM   #2 
shinybetta

Yeah! I've had three pairs not work out. One pair the female didn't want to spawn, though she showed bars, got dropsy and died. The next pair the male got sick. And the next pair the male got a serious injury and I had to take him out. Sigh....
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:16 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

What are you using to condition them with?

Try putting them in separate containers so that they can't see each other and mass feed with live or frozen food but not to the point they bloat...for 4-5 days...get their container in the 76F range and the spawning tank in the 80F-an hour before lights out place the two next to each other and let them interact for 10 min or so and then dump both in the spawning tank at the same time for a little shock-let them interact for 10 min and then turn off the light...as long as you have plenty of places for the female to get away from the male she should be fine...they will either start to spawn then or first thing in the AM with lights on
Sometimes you have to leave them together for a few days-you just have to have places that the female can get away from the male to rest...mass amounts of plants work well for a natural divider....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:38 PM   #4 
monroe0704

I've been using a mix of live bloodworm and frozen brine shrimp to condition... My tanks are approx at those temps, so that's good. I'll try the shock move that you suggest haha and see how that works vs the gradual interaction.

Even though the females seem to have no problem getting away from the male and stay hidden, I notice them oddly still and close to the surface... is this a tactic to stay hidden or are they exhausted from the chasing? I'm always worried about their health at that point...
Old 01-05-2011, 12:54 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Ripped torn fins, panting/breathing fast- either sitting on the bottom or at the top are some signs that she is getting chased too much

Do you know how old they are?

Remind me about your spawning set up-tank size, water level....etc....
Old 01-05-2011, 01:08 PM   #6 
1fish2fish

Another method to try that worked extremely well for me was actually conditioning the pair side by side and letting them see each other for about 1-2 hours every day (the rest of the time there was a sheet of plastic mesh in between). I then introduced them both into the spawning tank at the same time at the same time.

My tank is usually chock full of java moss, to the point where there is only a small section for the nest. It's virtually impossible for the pair to continually chase each other, they get lost too easily.

This method had a spawn in 48 hours from introduction and only a few nips and tears when in a previous spawn the male had been seriously torn up.

Sometimes you just have to keep tweaking until you figure it out. Don't be tempted to give up on a pair after a few unsuccessful spawns... keep trying.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:23 PM   #7 
Dragonlady

One trick that I use to get bettas to breed is to completely isolate them from other bettas for about a week while conditioning them with live BBS, bloodworms, and Atison's betta pro pellet. The pair you plan to breed should not see any other bettas for 1 week. Then, let the pair you want to breed see each other for brief periods throughout the day for a few days. Then, don't let them see each other at all or any other bettas for 2 days. If they like each other, they do a happy dance and seem to remember each other. If they both seem ready, put them in the prepared spawn tank. I almost always release the female from the hurricane glass at night at lights out and they will almost always spawn early in the morning. This method works very well for me.
Dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:26 PM   #8 
monroe0704

My spawning tank is a 10 gallon, filled halfway. I usually use silk vine-like plants crammed in one side so it's easy for the female to swim through but not the male. For a bubble nest aid I use a large silk leaf secured so it doesn't sink.

The first pair were both around 6 months of age and the second pair were 5 months... is this too young?
Old 01-05-2011, 01:36 PM   #9 
Oldfishlady

Perfect ages IMO.....your setup sounds fine....I think more time is needed....like 1fish posted...keep trying....you have to find what works for you and your breeders......so don't give up...it will happen.....
Old 01-05-2011, 01:38 PM   #10 
monroe0704

I appreciate all the different suggestions! It helps me figure out ways to tweak my process. Thanks! I definitely won't give up since I'm anxious to kick start my Marble Dragon DT line :)