Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-04-2011, 08:02 PM   #1 
TeenyTinyTofu

Thumbs up Re-Decorated the Turtle Tank!

I finally finished aquascaping Squirt's new 55 gallon tank. I wanted to give the goldfish a few places to hide, as well as achieve a nice underwater jungle theme for Squirt.

So, I went out and bought another piece of malaysian driftwood at the store and 3 more large (silk) plants. I'm really loving the look of the tank now... heavily planted, but still tons of swimming room. There's a total of 2 chunks of malaysian driftwood, 3 mountain rocks, 2 extra large ferns, 3 extra large ivy's, and 3 medium size misc. aquarium plants.

It's stocked with 5 small comet goldfish and 1 small pleco. I plan on adding a couple fancy goldfish, a couple apple snails, another pleco or two, and a school of about 6-8 cory cats.

TeenyTinyTofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:11 PM   #2 
anglnarnld

Its beautiful!! ;)
anglnarnld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:15 PM   #3 
Sweeda88

How are the Goldfish going to be happy with a turtle chasing them around? Won't they just be stressed out and end up with nipped fins?
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:24 PM   #4 
dr2b

That is an absolutely gorgeous tank!
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:33 PM   #5 
TeenyTinyTofu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeda88 View Post
How are the Goldfish going to be happy with a turtle chasing them around? Won't they just be stressed out and end up with nipped fins?
Absolutely not. In a tank large enough, with enough foliage and plants, fish can happily live with a turtle. The important part is to get compatible fish, and preferably ones bigger than the turtle, or similar in size. For the most part, my turtle has completely ignored the comet goldfish, and they swim leisurely around the turtle with few problems. He is also well fed, between a staple diet of pellets, fresh fruits and vegetables, live plants such as anacharis, as well as small shrimps and krill, he really has little interest in going after the goldfish that are nearly the same size that he is.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:37 PM   #6 
doggyhog

That is like a turtle paradise!!!
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:44 PM   #7 
Sweeda88

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeenyTinyTofu View Post
Absolutely not. In a tank large enough, with enough foliage and plants, fish can happily live with a turtle. The important part is to get compatible fish, and preferably ones bigger than the turtle, or similar in size. For the most part, my turtle has completely ignored the comet goldfish, and they swim leisurely around the turtle with few problems. He is also well fed, between a staple diet of pellets, fresh fruits and vegetables, live plants such as anacharis, as well as small shrimps and krill, he really has little interest in going after the goldfish that are nearly the same size that he is.
Okay, just checking. I hate seeing stressed out fish, that's all. =)
Old 01-04-2011, 08:45 PM   #8 
Creat

Gorgeous tank I recently did one with my friends turtle Bubbles she actually prefers the goldfish she always gets angsty without her commet buddies. Love the tank by the way gorgeous looking, I'm normally dont like silk plants but what you did with them is amazing.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:51 PM   #9 
TeenyTinyTofu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeda88 View Post
Okay, just checking. I hate seeing stressed out fish, that's all. =)
No problem. =)

That was one of my goals, in heavily planting the tank, was to make sure the fish had an insane amount of hiding places, and lots of foliage for them to feel safe. I also watched them closely when I first put them in the tank, to make sure that they were not being harassed by him.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:52 PM   #10 
Sweeda88

That's good. I love Goldfish. I have one, but need a bigger tank. I'm currently searching for a 20 gallon for my girl.