Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-05-2011, 12:43 AM   #1 
LinuxTux37

Holy cow! Fish drama!

First of all, I apologize for any typing errors in advance, I'm on an iPhone. Also, I apologize for my month and a half long absence, we've been moving and it's actually crucial to what happened. So we've moved most of our stuff, but we held out on the fish until we had a place for them. We barely had time to feed them, sometimes we forgot for a day, shame on us :(. Finally went over tonight, and Neptune's tank was the color of tea, with the darkest algae ever growing on the sides, swimming in his own scum. But then the shock hit. He was dead. We started to net him out, and he just sat there. Being my sister's fish, we decided to rush out to Petsmart ASAP before we would flush him, we didn't want her to watch (and she didn't either.) We picked one up, and came back. We were going to give the tank the best cleaning and sanitizing it had ever seen. We took Neptune to the bathroom, and placed him in. And then, after we had said some stuff (Religious Mom) we were about to flush when we noticed something. The bathroom was warmer than the rest of the house, as it had the door shut, retaining any heat even though the heat was off for weeks, and the house was 47 deg. Fahrenheit. And that would mean warmer toilet water. And he moved, just a little. Alive! But now we had an extra fish, which after an hour of panic we decided to give to my grandma, as she has said she could use a job to do, and water changing is fine. We sterilized and scrubbed Neptune's tank shiny with boiling water, and now he's happily in his new house. Sonic's tank was actually OK, but two things caught my eye: Old, uneaten food and chewed off fins. Obviously, he coped with the cold by doing this. But oh, his beautiful fins. Many of you on here know them, and have seen the pictures and videos that I have posted. Those who don't many said that they were the most beautiful fins they'd ever seen on a VT, and I must agree (The picture and video threads can still be accessed via my profile). Do his fins have any hope of coming back with the help of bettamax? Even if it takes a year, it will be amazing to see his inch-long blue trails again. Thank you, and I'm sorry I neglected my fish (I didn't want to, I swear. But I had to put general living and school before my fish.) Also, sorry for my absence. Thank you.
LinuxTux37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:41 AM   #2 
DormDrax

Oh wow!
What a story!
The Toilet saves a betta's life haha
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 02:12 AM   #3 
Luimeril

oh, wow! the toilet water revived him!

for chewed fins, i use just plain ol' Aquarium Salt, and some Indian Almond Leaf(maybe half for a smaller tank).
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 02:31 AM   #4 
wallywestisthebest333

Well I'm glad he's better. Did his heater break while you guys were gone? I hope things work out. The best way to heal damaged fins is clean water and aquarium salt. =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:26 PM   #5 
FishyFriend1

i have read so many toilet stories!!!!! i love them all!!!
FishyFriend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:29 PM   #6 
vaygirl

Well Tango lost his gorgeous long tail but it's growing back again. Have hope. I'm glad he was saved... by the toilet. I never thought I'd say that. :)
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:21 PM   #7 
LinuxTux37

Glad to hear fins can grow back! And no, the heater didn't break, Edison was having trouble managing two houses under one name, and they tried to merge them or something, but halfway through the process somebody REALLY goofed and we ended up having to cancel the electricity for that house 'cuz they had horrible billing problems.
LinuxTux37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:20 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

Sometimes life happens and we just aren't able to care for our fish the way we normally would. I'm glad Neptune is ok.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:54 PM   #9 
bloo97

Holy Toilet water!

Glad Neptune is okay, too. :P
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote