Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-05-2011, 02:53 AM   #1 
DazzleKitty

Filters and divided tanks

I've been posting a lot of threads asking what you guys probably see as redundant questions and I apologize for this. I'm just a little wishy washy in my decisions and I made a change in mind about my 15 gallon tank I got for Christmas. It's time to set it up this week. I was going to put two bettas in it with a divider.

I heard that with a filter it can work because it'll dump new water in one side and take the 'old' from the other. I am sure you know what I mean.

Well, now I am thinking about just putting my three bettas in it. How would I cycle it then? Should I buy two extra filters so each betta has his own?
I am not sure on what to do. I know some of you have big tanks with numerous dividers in it and it seems to work for you. How do you guys do it?

Also, I was gonna put female guppies in with each male. When put into three sections and each little guy only gets five gallons to himself, do you think it unwise to put any guppies with them? Or should I maybe just put a couple of ghost shrimp in with each?

I've made my final decision to put three bettas in it, so I wanna do it right.

Thanks for your patience with me and for all the help. I appreciate all the information you guys have provided me with.
DazzleKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:55 AM   #2 
DazzleKitty

Just bumping my post.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:07 AM   #3 
eclover09

As far as I know it, you don't need a filter for each divided side, one is plenty enough. I'm splitting a twenty long soon and I only am going to have one filter, the water will eventually all get sucked in and filtered out through the holes in the divider. Only time you would ever need more filters is if you had a tank very well stocked and one wasn't doing the job, but then again you should never have a tank so over stocked like that either lol. One filter with water changes should do the job just fine.

Also, I think the minimum for having a Betta and other fish is a ten gallon and nothing less. Putting a Betta and guppies in a five gallon section probably wouldn't go over too well.
eclover09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:43 AM   #4 
DazzleKitty

Thanks for the info. I'm going to put my three boys in it with dividers and maybe get a couple of ghost shrimp for each slot.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:17 AM   #5 
fflores

same question i have... i know i can just use a standard filter and it will eventually pull and cycle thru all the water, but if i'm also hoping to stock my 20 gal divided with 4, for lack of a better word, aquabid quality bettas. So i want to have try to have the optimal set up. I'm considering going with canister filter but it will obviously change the pricing of the components, which then brings up the question on how best to heat the tank and how to keep the heat evenly distributed.

I would recommend only going with the ghost shrimp. It will be fun to be able to individually style each of the slots per the first that you have in each slot.

Good luck
fflores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:35 AM   #6 
Stardancer

I've heard that you can place the heater right by the filter output to distribute the heat better. And from a purely logical standpoint, maybe you could put the filter as close to the middle as possible? That way (theoretically) it would draw equal amounts of dirty water from both sides of the tank.

But just in case, you could try PMing some of the more experienced members.
Stardancer is offline   Reply With Quote