Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-05-2011, 11:23 PM   #1 
fflores

20 gallon divided...

Who has done it... and how did you do it.

i am thinking of dividing up a tank i just bought. I have ideas on what i want to do and how i want to do it, but think i'm getting over my ski's a little here. So before i go over board, i'm just trying to get ideas on what has already been done.

How have you heated the tank, and how have you filtered it?

Are you flowing water from when side and then thru all the other chambers? or are you pulling from 1 chamber and then recycling to all the chambers thru a canister filter?
fflores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:54 PM   #2 
shinybetta

I divide all my tanks using plastic canvas. I tape it to the side and instant divider. Just make sure it is strong enough. The tape will need changing once a month or whenever it feels weak. I heat and filter divided tanks like all the others.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:17 PM   #3 
Cravenne

I haven't actually done mine yet, but...I'm planning on dividing the tank into 5 using mesh dividers from the store or the DIY dividers I've seen around here. (Depends how lazy I am). I'll have an HOB filter suitable for 20G. The middle compartment will house the filter and heater...no Betta..maybe a snail or something. OR..an area for live plant bits and pieces.
If you think about it, a 20G undivided can be filtered with an HOB..bettas aren't going to foul up the water that much and the mesh dividers allow for water flow.

I currently have a divided 10G. For water changes I usually alternate the gravel vacs. One side with one change, the other with the next. It works just fine that way.

I have seen a DIY post around here where someone used a canister and fit the spray bar into the dividers so the flow hit more compartments. I think they used a garden hose or something..

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts though, fflores :)
Cravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:51 PM   #4 
fflores

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cravenne View Post
I haven't actually done mine yet, but...I'm planning on dividing the tank into 5 using mesh dividers from the store or the DIY dividers I've seen around here. (Depends how lazy I am). I'll have an HOB filter suitable for 20G. The middle compartment will house the filter and heater...no Betta..maybe a snail or something. OR..an area for live plant bits and pieces.
If you think about it, a 20G undivided can be filtered with an HOB..bettas aren't going to foul up the water that much and the mesh dividers allow for water flow.

I currently have a divided 10G. For water changes I usually alternate the gravel vacs. One side with one change, the other with the next. It works just fine that way.

I have seen a DIY post around here where someone used a canister and fit the spray bar into the dividers so the flow hit more compartments. I think they used a garden hose or something..

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts though, fflores :)
I set out a drawing of both the lid for my Fluval Chi tank that i want to have made and a couple of frosted acrylic dividers that i want to have made which will have 7 3/32"W x 3"L slots cut into them. Enough slots for water flow but thin enough to be safe. I will silicon the dividers in place.

I'm wondering if i can find a heater to wrap around the return water line and heat the water that way. Still thinking of how to best heat the tank.

I'll show pics of what i might be having made... i could probably just do the same with simple mash, but why not have something laser cut and also do a little acrylic welding now that i have a reason to do so.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:55 PM   #5 
fflores

I just looked it up and i can use a canister filter and a inline heater in the return line... might have to research this option some more.