Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-05-2011, 10:59 AM   #1 
Busted

Mushu seems to be getting worse

My once active bubble nest building Mushu seems to not be doing better at all. First he stopped eating. Then he just started floating at the top or laying around on the bottom of the tank. About 4-5 days later I got him to eat 1 pellet. Now hes not eating again, he doesn't look bloated. However, he looks rather skinny. He is in a 1 gallon QT with nothing in it but a heater. Water changes every other day. He keeps his fins closed all the time now, also Mushu best picture is what I use as my avatar. The water temp is a stable 78*. I fear he is close to death. I am using boiled oak leaf to keep the water a bit darker. I really need some help I don't want Mushu to die
Busted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:30 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

How long have you had him or about what is his age?

If you have something smaller to put him in and float in the heated tank that may work better-pre -mix a jug of treatment water and make 100% daily water changes
1gal jug dechlorinated water with 1tsp/gal Epsom salt and 10-12 crushed unboiled Oak leaves-let this water steep for an hour before use-shake well and make back to back 50% water changes over 5-10 min until it is 100% treatment water-then 100% daily for 10 days...hold food for the first 3 days then offer half feeding twice daily.

Good luck.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:01 PM   #3 
Busted

I have had him for little over 2 weeks now. I got a batch brewing now, do I need to keep it in the fridge? Also I have 32oz containers I planed to use for betta fry pending sale. Much larger then the little cup he came in. So hold food, 100% water changes everyday with the oak leaf/epsom salt, and a smaller container.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:27 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

When you boil the leaf you kill the antibacterial/fungal properties and so it needs to be in the fridge-un-boiled does not need to be kept cold

Use of anything small will work for QT-the goal is for it to be small enough to float attached or sit inside a heated tank to maintain water temp and easier to make water changes-also it needs to be clear and bare bottom so you can observe the fish and what come out...part of treatment and QT is observation too.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:28 PM   #5 
Busted

I have him right on my computer desk so I can keep a eye on him and what hes doing. Thanks for the help OFL
Old 01-05-2011, 12:33 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Good luck and keep us posted....
Old 01-09-2011, 12:31 PM   #7 
Busted

Well time for a update. He is now eating again and more then 1 pellet. Also he is wanting more and more food and begging like the others :D His fins look a bit rough I think is is tail bitting but I havn't seen him do it. Also I have been keeping daily water changes with the oak leaf/epsom salt brew. He seems a hair bit more active but is still lying around a lot.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:41 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

Good that he is wanting to eat and a bit more active....how many days has he been in treatment and what is the water temp?
Old 01-09-2011, 12:44 PM   #9 
Busted

The very day I posted this he went into treatment ( 01-05-2011 ). I waited 3 days before feeding like you said. So today is the 4th day. The temp is 78*F.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:59 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

Sounds good....he needs a bit more time-depending on the root cause it can take 5-7 days to get back to normal but a full 10 day treatment is recommended.....