Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-05-2011, 01:22 PM   #1 
Creat

Red face Ways to get a halmoon....

So a little backstory, I have had this personal line for a while. It started with my second male betta Moonshine, a mustard gas FT, and an accidental breeding with a red common pet store female. I never knew what the red gal was I assumed she was a veiltail but the babies all came out as super delta's then I attempted to spawn a few of them all failed and I shut down to wait till I had more time, then college happened and I took a female and left. While I was away dropsy attacked all my spawn and killed the first and second generation and then the female I brought with me died as she got into the filter, then one I had given to my friend did the exact same thing. So as I grew to the idea I would have to start over, but my sister called and told me hey i still have that runt that she has had. So after registering this female was about 2 years old and under 2 cm long maybe hitting 1.5 with tail I raced off to find a male. I was looking for a small red male and ended up with Dahli who is red but has solid dragon scaling down his body. I first thought my little runt was a cambodian well I started conditioning her and she turned a dark purple red with the dragon scales in her. To my surprise she was a forceful gal and didnt stop picking on Dahli until he had a nest full of eggs.
Now I'm thinking I will use this as a little adventure to see if I can get all halfmoons later in the future. Now so far it looks like the fry are only super delta's but my question is what do you think is the best way to go about this whole thing. Should I wait to see if I can get females out of this spawn or just go buy a halfmoon female and be done with it. I know for a fact my runt red female is at least 1/2 halfmoon and the fry are 1/4 mutt veiltail and 3/4 halfmoon. Pet stores also dont carry halfmoon females which irks me. And I really dont feel like buying one off aquabid because I have no money at the moment. Ok rant over lol.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:58 PM   #2 
Luimeril

i was always told you'll get deltas and super deltas in an HM spawning, so maybe if you breed the widest male and widest female, you'll eventually get HMs?

i was also told that later on, deltas and super deltas will eventually be able to spread full 180, but i dunno much about it. x-x
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 02:13 PM   #3 
Creat

ha ha ok I just learned something :p didnt know that before
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:09 AM   #4 
MadMay

Well I would suggest if you get no hms out of this and you cant do a SD X SD sibling pair. Find the female betta with the widest spread and go get her an hm male from your lps.
MadMay is offline   Reply With Quote