Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-11-2011, 10:01 PM   #1 
Irish Dancing Man

Exclamation Worried about new fish

I just got a new female named pebble yesterday. She is living in a 3 gal tank with bubbler, heater (water 73-74) and is living with bubbles. she wasn't moving much when i put her in. And now she wont eat, sits on the bottom. and he behind raises up into the air when she lays down. can mainly only sim straight up and down. what should i do? ( i put in a gel, forgot what its called, protects their gills, cleans the water, and helps with their protective slime. no results)
Irish Dancing Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:05 PM   #2 
Tsuhei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Dancing Man View Post
I just got a new female named pebble yesterday. She is living in a 3 gal tank with bubbler, heater (water 73-74) and is living with bubbles. she wasn't moving much when i put her in. And now she wont eat, sits on the bottom. and he behind raises up into the air when she lays down. can mainly only sim straight up and down. what should i do? ( i put in a gel, forgot what its called, protects their gills, cleans the water, and helps with their protective slime. no results)
Hello, and welcome to the forum. First, I am glad you aren't shoving her in a small less than 1 gallon tank and you bought a heater for her - great! However, betta are tropical fish and their water temperature has to be between 76F-80F. Low temperatures could explain her lethargy.

Second, what water additives are you using? Are you using water conditioner? Please try to include the name of the "gel" you are using.

Do you have any little caves or hiding places for her such as fake silk plants or live plants? Betta fish need places to hide.
Tsuhei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:16 AM   #3 
Irish Dancing Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuhei View Post
Hello, and welcome to the forum. First, I am glad you aren't shoving her in a small less than 1 gallon tank and you bought a heater for her - great! However, betta are tropical fish and their water temperature has to be between 76F-80F. Low temperatures could explain her lethargy.

Second, what water additives are you using? Are you using water conditioner? Please try to include the name of the "gel" you are using.

Do you have any little caves or hiding places for her such as fake silk plants or live plants? Betta fish need places to hide.
"AquaSafe" By tetra aqua. I have 1 plant and gravel. she used to like to go behind the heater untill she stopped moving much. I will have live plants when she put nutrients into the water. ( but she wont eat) and i could get a little cave tonight.

And my first fish was actually in a small half gallon tank. I joined this website, learned a lot and move him to a bigger one.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:39 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Sorry you are having problems....is bubbles another fish?

As posted the temp is a little on the cool side

To understand...Pebbles is having some appetite problems and buoyancy problems...she is new to the 3gal tank...correct?

How long has the tank been setup-how much and how often have the water changes been and when was the last one?
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:50 PM   #5 
Irish Dancing Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Sorry you are having problems....is bubbles another fish?

As posted the temp is a little on the cool side

To understand...Pebbles is having some appetite problems and buoyancy problems...she is new to the 3gal tank...correct?

How long has the tank been setup-how much and how often have the water changes been and when was the last one?
Bubbles is another female. the tank has been set up for 4 days. I let it sit with the bubbler on for a day before getting the fish, i turned the water temp up. But it doesn't matter, just got home from school, she's dead:(((((((. And I just got her monday:(((.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:55 PM   #6 
bettafish15

Two females cant be in the same tank, they will fight to the death is some cases :/
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:00 PM   #7 
Irish Dancing Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettafish15 View Post
Two females cant be in the same tank, they will fight to the death is some cases :/
well they didn't, they stayed away from each other and the fish expert at the fish store says he has 2 females in one tank.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:24 PM   #8 
bettafish15

People in stores arent really accurate, they just want to make a sale. We're the experts over here, and are happy to give you the right info :) If you have a 10g tank, you can have 5-8 females in whats called a "sorority" of female bettas, and thats really the best way to keep females. Alone, or in a group of 5-8 in 10g+. I think the two females were very stressed in those conditions.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:31 PM   #9 
Irish Dancing Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettafish15 View Post
People in stores arent really accurate, they just want to make a sale. We're the experts over here, and are happy to give you the right info :) If you have a 10g tank, you can have 5-8 females in whats called a "sorority" of female bettas, and thats really the best way to keep females. Alone, or in a group of 5-8 in 10g+. I think the two females were very stressed in those conditions.
the other one is totally fine, and always has been.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:10 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

Sorry for your loss....good that the other female is doing okay....

Also, the 3gal tank is not big enough for 2 fish by volume alone...it is a great tank for the lone female....love to see some pic.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote