Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-05-2011, 09:35 PM   #1 
Crazykat

Squished Cory Cat

Hi,
I just got a new betta and some dwarf cory cats with him. The lady who was netting out the cory cats was having a difficult time getting them with a net (they're less than an inch long and pretty quick), so she reached in and grabbed one in her hand. When she handed me the bag, I could see that she had injured the one she grabbed, so I got him for free. At first, I thought she had just scraped off his scales with her nail, but when I got him into a lit tank, I could see that the bleeding was actually internal. She must have squeezed him. :(
Now, I've got him in a hospital tank by himself and I'm not sure what to do. Should I bump the temperature up or would that cause bacterial infection? Anything else I should do to help him heal? I know that this isn't a betta fish, but I also know that a lot of people on this forum are experienced with cory cats.
Crazykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:48 PM   #2 
Sarada

It's pretty much just a waiting game now...monitor him and see if he recovers...keep an eye out for bacterial infection. Keep the bottom of the hospital tank as clean as possible for now. I hear it's better for Cory's to have a sand bottom for their barbels...mine have always had gravel and they have never been sick.
Sarada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:05 PM   #3 
DormDrax

Poor little Cory!
I hope he's alright... well... he's not alright but I hope he recovers! I'd say keep the water warm.
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:39 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

Awww, poor little guy! I don't think there is a whole lot you can do except keep his water clean and warm. That woman should never have grabbed him with her bare hands. She probably could have caught him with the net if she'd been a little more patient.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:42 PM   #5 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
She probably could have caught him with the net if she'd been a little more patient.
Or... had had any skill what so ever... netting fish is annoying at times but not enough to hurt the fish over.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:55 PM   #6 
Alex09

The poor thing. It really depends on the severity of the injury. If it looks Like it won't make it or it's suffering I would just euthanize and put it out of it's misery.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 02:10 PM   #7 
Crazykat

Well, Sick Fish died today. :( Poor little guy. I guess the injury was just too severe.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:44 AM   #8 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazykat View Post
Well, Sick Fish died today. :( Poor little guy. I guess the injury was just too severe.

I'd complain and raise heck at the store... if you see the worker in question *Devious Grin* I hope you take advantage and perhaps show her the body.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:30 PM   #9 
Crazykat

She was really nice, though, and she got scolded after and she gave me two fish (including Sick Fish) for free. So...I probably will just avoid her if I ever get fish there again. And Sick Fish has been buried in our pet cemetery with a little rock over him. I even sang a song while I buried him. The neighbors probably think I'm insane, but that's nothing new.