Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-05-2011, 10:01 PM   #1 
UhOh

Unhappy HELP! Wont eat, white string...?

Housing
What size is your tank?-2 gal.
What temperature is your tank?-TOO COLD! maybe 55ish...I know..
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?Air stone
Is your tank heated? NOOO
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day, 3 and 4 pellets

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? maybe a month, It was a while but still clear
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Solution made for Bettas on Tap Water

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No N/A

My betta fish will not eat. I came back from a trip and my mom was feeding my fish but apparently it just stopped eating. She said nothing but i noticed there were several swollen pellets in the tank. It has a whiteish grayish strand by it butt and I *THINK* it's poop? I only feed it pellets and have had it for about a year. It just seems to be swimming slow and sitting at the bottom of the tank. Is The water being cold makeing it not eat?

PLEASE HELP
Thanks,
Stan
UhOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:07 PM   #2 
Luimeril

your water's WAY too cold for him! and, the white string could be a sign of parasites. :< you're also not changing the water enough. for my 2 gallons, i change the water every three days. :/ i suggest getting a heater.
also, can anyone confirm the white poops mean parasites?
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:08 PM   #3 
BettaCavy

You've got a few problems with your setup that's probably causing your problems.

1. From what I've seen, Bettas only eat a few pellets a day, so him refusing food might be a sign that you're feeding him too much, which can cause bloat which can kill him.

2. Your water is MUCH too cold. Bettas are tropical fish and should be kept in water at least 78*F. Pet stores carry adjustable filters--I also have a 2gal tank and I have a nice adjustable heater that I got from PetSmart for less than $15. It keeps Fidget's tank nice and warm, and he's so much happier!

3. With a 2gal unfiltered tank, you should be changing your fish's water 100% at least once a week. Dangerous chemicals build up in the tank water if you don't change it, and those can kill your Betta as well.

Also, from what I've heard some Betta don't like air stones--that's probably not your problem in this case and I'm not entirely sure about it as I'm bit of a newbie myself, but perhaps something to look into.

Good luck with your fish! :)
BettaCavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:10 PM   #4 
BettaCavy

re: white poop = parasite?

Fidget had that problem earlier today and the PetSmart employee (fairly knowledgable, has several Bettas herself and considers 2gal to be 'small' for a tank) said that it could be indicative of parasites, yeah.

You might want to try and add a bit of aquarium salt, which should sort the parasites out okay.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:17 PM   #5 
UhOh

How long would i have between changes if it's filtered?

He's lived happily on his food amount for almost a year but yes i should limit that, Could he be constipated?
Old 01-05-2011, 10:22 PM   #6 
BettaCavy

I've never heard of a filtered 2gal, I think that they're usually a bit bigger when they have a filter (someone else have a better answer on that?).

Yes, it is possible that he's constipated or bloated. Try him a few days without food and see? Also, uneaten food should be removed from his tank instead of allowed to float about (this will also help with your chemical levels).
Old 01-05-2011, 10:23 PM   #7 
Luimeril

cycled, you mean? it's hard to cycle a small tank like a 2 gallon. o.0 even then, i'm not sure how long between water changes that would be.

you should get him some parasite meds. that'll clear the parasites up faster.

it's POSSIBLE that he's constipated, but the white poop is more a sign of parasites.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:24 PM   #8 
UhOh

I just wasnt home. Two days is really not very much time between water changes, Can i get around this at all?
How would he get parasites? No live food and no tank mate....
Old 01-05-2011, 10:28 PM   #9 
BettaCavy

I've been told that a change every 3 days or so should do it--50% and then 100%. It's a bit of work, but I think the only way to really get around it and have a properly healthy fish not at risk of any nasty diseases is to just get a bigger tank. Dirty water can cause a LOT of problems. :-\
Old 01-05-2011, 10:32 PM   #10 
UhOh

So a filter would not help anything?
I am such a noob i have no clue. what problems can occur? and how could he get a parasite? Tap water possibly?