Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-05-2011, 10:27 PM   #1 
SilverMagnolia

Exclamation HELP! Injury? Illness?

Please, help. I don't know what happened!

My red Betta had a full water change on Sunday. I netted him, carefully to get him out of the tank, then I gently poured him back in. After that he was fin. Happily swimming around, sleeping at night.

Then yesterday I bought a heater. Right now he is in a 1/2 gallon tank (small, I know). I got him a 2-15 gallon submersible Tetra heater. He was mad at it, flutterily swimming around curiously. But when I woke up this morning he wasn't swimming around. The water was around 75 degrees and so I figured that he was just tired. But time went on and he just floated there near the top, sleeping. I poked the bowl lightly to see if he was still alive and he angrily swam over to a new spot. Not really showing off his beautiful fins, just ... sliding over there using his little fins. Then went back to sleep. I unplugged the heater. Later I fed him a little, but then he fell asleep, again. Now at 8:20pm I went to check on him.

He is laying on the bottom of the tank. His head on the ground, fins in the air, breathing heavily through his gills. It's such a disturbing sight and I am freaking out. So sudden! I think he might be hurt. Please please help, he is just laying there breathing. Every time he tries to swim a little he sort of just flops around then falls to the bottom. His tank is 71.1 degrees right now.

Help help please! If you need any more info, I will try and provide it. What can I do? I do not want him to die! He can't just die!

I had been using a heating pad for human backs. It was getting a little fried and so I went and got this in-tank heater. The pad kept the tank at 73 or so degrees.

Housing
What size is your tank? 1/2 gallon.What temperature is your tank? 71.1 degrees.
Does your tank have a filter? No.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? None.
Is your tank heated? Yes.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? Every other day, 2-3 pellets.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? I only had him a little while. So far I changed it once a week 100%.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Solution made for Bettas for Tap Water

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No N/A

Last edited by SilverMagnolia; 01-05-2011 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Adding more important info.
SilverMagnolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:50 PM   #2 
SilverMagnolia

Please please please!
Old 01-05-2011, 10:56 PM   #3 
BettaCavy

I was sort of holding off on responding to this because I'm not super experienced but:

1. your tank temp is too low, should be at least 78*
2. a half gallon is really too small for a Betta, you should have at least 2 gallons
3. with a tank that small you should really be doing water changes MUCH more often...ammonia and nitrites build up quickly and those can kill.

It IS good that you're heating him though! Just a bit higher and he could perk up.
BettaCavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:59 PM   #4 
SilverMagnolia

I know, I know and I know. He has been perfectly happy until now. I think he is HURT. Did I injure him in the water change or maybe he burnt himself on the heater? If it's not the heater, then his tank will be nice and hot soon. And when I scrounge up enough of my "poor college student" money I will be upgrading his tank. I know it's too small, poor thing. But it's better than the pet store! If it is because of the water, then why now? I've only had him about a week. And after I change his water he gets sick?
Old 01-05-2011, 11:03 PM   #5 
SilverMagnolia

When he tries to swim he uses the little fins on his sides, nothing else and flutters there on the bottom of the tank.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:03 PM   #6 
BettaCavy

Totally with you there on the poor college student thing lol

Are there horizontal stripes along his body? He could have been stressed out by the water change. Could you take a picture?
Old 01-05-2011, 11:04 PM   #7 
vaygirl

My first thought would be stress from too many changes in temperature and too few water changes. Bettas need a stable temp. Is his heater adjustable? If it is, try putting it back in but raise it slowly, a degree at a time over the next day.

Also, when you changed his water, did you use water that was the same temp as the water he came from?
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:08 PM   #8 
SilverMagnolia

When I changed the water I was still using the heating pad so it was easy to get the waters both to match up, so there was no real difference. Maybe putting the heater in freaked him out? It's an automatic 78 degree heater, sadly.

My camera is poor right now, but I'll see what I can do...
Old 01-05-2011, 11:09 PM   #9 
BettaCavy

ooh I really am not fond of the automatics. A lot of them only heat 4 degrees above room temp rather than actually to 78. Definitely get an adjustable when you have the cash.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:17 PM   #10 
SilverMagnolia

Agreed!

He doesn't seem to have stripes, though I can hardly tell through the glare of the tank. He keeps fluttering when ever I try to get a good look. But he almost has this white... flimy? thing going on all over his body... Maybe I am just seeing things.

http://i1010.photobucket.com/albums/...a/DSCI0025.jpg