Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-05-2011, 08:02 PM   #1 
jschristian44

newbie to forum, just introducing myself

hey
this looks like a reputible and a great betta fish forum so i joined. anyways, just got my betta fish at walmart a week ago and i really like him. he is like pink in the middle and has beautiful blue/purple fins which made me want him. i will take photos once i get my camera back. anyways, i got him in like a 2 gallon bowl with some red small stones on the bottom and some grass leaves from a plant in the yard. it's his new bowl and he really enjoys hiding in the leaves. i got some betta bio gold i feed him which he eats usually and i just started feeding him thawed frozen peas tonight and he loves those. im getting some freeze dried bloodworms because i hear they like them as well. anyways, i really enjoy this fish and so far he's outlived any fish i've ever owned. how long do they usually live? i would love to get a female one and breed them, so i will check out that thread on this forum. any help or tips you can give would be fantastic!
jschristian44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:36 PM   #2 
soccerdog693

Hello! I'm a newbie betta owner too :)

Many people will tell you that 2.5 gallon is the minimum for a betta habitat - and I tend to agree. You'll probably be fine with the 2 gallon bowl, but make sure you do your water changes often as you don't have a filter. One thing that has really helped me is an ammonia test kit. Anything above 1 ppm of ammonia can be very dangerous and very damaging to bettas and you really want to shoot for 0ppm obviously. Also you might want to look into getting a heater as bettas like their water to be 75-80 degrees (and stable). At least get a little tank thermometer so you know what the temp is. I've read that, with good care, bettas can live up to 5 years, but most are around 3.

I'm not sure what kind of plant leaves you put in your bowl, but I would be VERY skeptical of them. First off, if they aren't living (like you pulled the leaves off the stem) they will rot and release all kind's of nasty toxins into your bowl. This is especially dangerous because you don't have a filter. Also, you have no idea what kind of parasites or pesticides might be on it that could harm fishy. Thirdly, fish can easily get digestion problems from food sources they aren't naturally found in their environment. Your fish will probably try snacking on that leaf - are you sure it's safe for him to do so? There are lots of aquatic plants specifically for bettas available at pet stores if you want some greenery in your tank. Silk and soft plastic plants are also nice to hide in (make sure the plastic isn't sharp and won't hurd fishy's fins).

Lastly, and I say this will all kindness and good intent, but please don't breed your betta. You, like myself, are very new to betta care and keeping. Bettas can lay over hundreds of eggs and can have up to 20 (or more) surviving fry. Do you really have that many friends that would buy them from you? Most people that go to a betta breeder instead of just walmart or petco because they know what they want and are willing to spend a lot of money for a fish from someone who knows what they are doing and can ensure very healthy, purebred, and beautiful bettas. And has not only been keeping bettas, but breeding for a long, long time. Plus, if you sell your fry to petstores, well, we know how they usually end up. Dead, stuck in a cup, or home with some ignorant person that you have never met and may have NO idea how to care for a betta, which means dead again.

not to mention if you're not super careful and prepared on how and when to introduce your male and female, your male will kill her.

All in all, have fun with your betta! :D They are great little pets, but they do need a lot of care to keep them healthy. Aim for a healthy and happy betta, not just a surviving one. Do research before you do anything. And, for the time being, please leave breeding to the pros. You want to make sure you can keep several bettas healthy for their entire lifespans before you begin to think about breeding. That takes years.

And feel free to ask any questions - I had a ton when I came here and I still am not even close to knowing it all. But I have found people on this board to be SUPER helpful and non-judgemental.

Sorry for going on so long.... ;)

Last edited by soccerdog693; 01-05-2011 at 09:40 PM.
soccerdog693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:01 PM   #3 
jschristian44

hey thanks for the great reply. yes i know its way too soon to start breeding i just wanted to know how hard it is, and it seems to be way out of my control so ill just forget about that all together. i actually just bought a 2.5 gallon tank with stones, scenery and everything else for under 20 dollars so it should be a good deal. id like to get a heater for it but i dont know which one or how expensive are those? i jus got a regular fish bowl looking tank. so a round heater on top or how do those work, inside the water? anyways thanks for the little bit of help. does this forum sell their breedings to people online? do you know any cheap place i could get betta's online?
Old 01-05-2011, 10:06 PM   #4 
soccerdog693

I don't really know about the breeding stuff - I'm sure you could find some great answers to that question on the breeding board.

As for the heating, there are plenty of heaters out there for small tanks. I also have a 2.5 gallon aquarium and I use a tetra submersible heater that suction cups to the inside of the tank. I think it was around $15. Most heaters for small tanks are around $10. Make sure you get one that's made for your size aquarium tho, because you don't want the temp to go too high :)

Good luck! :D
soccerdog693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:08 PM   #5 
bettafish15

Aquabid.com is a great place to get bettas, but they're all pretty fancy so the price is high, once you add up the shipping and all that. : /
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:44 PM   #6 
jschristian44

well i think the water is fine. my room is room temperature like all the year round and i always keep the water warmer than colder. i have it at neutral which is probably like 70 degrees.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:45 PM   #7 
bettafish15

70 degrees is too cold! Bettas NEED a temp of 76-83F!
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:51 PM   #8 
jschristian44

well i found this small heater on amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Hydor-HEATER-A...4289343&sr=8-1

seems to be the best one so i will pick that up then.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:23 PM   #9 
dragonfair

Welcome to the forum! I look forward to seeing a pic of your fishie - he sounds beautiful.

I had a heater like the one you're looking at on Amazon and 2 similar round ones. They're ambient heaters that raise the water temp a couple of degrees from the surrounding air. They didn't work for me because of my house temp (I keep it at about 65 degrees), but a lot of people like them. I ended up getting some 25 watt adjustable heaters. They're good for up to 5 gallons. I didn't like spending that much, but I'm glad I did. I can control the water temp and it doesn't fluctuate. Nice.

Like soccordog said, get a thermometer to suction to the inside of your tank. Not one of the flat sticker ones, but a bulb or digital one. Bettas are tropical fish, so water temperature is very important to keeping them healthy.

If you don't already, I also recommend treating your water with a conditioner and keeping it very clean - which means water changes galore. It's not hard in a small tank. Some people say in a small tank, do 100% water change every other day, but it works for me to do it once a week and do a 50% water change in between.

Good luck and have fun!
dragonfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:26 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

We do have several breeders here and they may have some bettas for sale.
About the peas: bettas are carnivorous and peas are not a good thing to feed them every day. Most people feed their bettas a bite of pea as a laxative if their fish are constipated.
Also, welcome to the forum.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote