Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-06-2011, 10:37 PM   #21 
turtle10

Yes! That has been super helpful! I want to get some Hornwort and Anacharis, and I will probably get some Ludwigia or something too.

For the 70-80% percent water changes weekly, could I split it into two or three days? For example: 50% Monday, 50% Friday or 30% Monday, 30% Thursday and 30% Saturday?
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:43 PM   #22 
LucyLoofa

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle10 View Post
Yes! That has been super helpful! I want to get some Hornwort and Anacharis, and I will probably get some Ludwigia or something too.

For the 70-80% percent water changes weekly, could I split it into two or three days? For example: 50% Monday, 50% Friday or 30% Monday, 30% Thursday and 30% Saturday?
shoot did I say weekly?!?!
uhgg. It's very late here on the east coast my bad.
Meant to say daily.
And you may not have to.
If you test the ammonia and nitrite levels every day that will tell you how often you need to change the water.
But generally it's a 75 percent change daily for the first week or so and then bi weekly, and then once weekly, then just once monthly until your plants are fully matured and acclimated to your specific water conditions.
Like since I live in Tennessee my water is very hard and has tons of calcium in it, even the heavily filtered city tap water.
So my plants will have to get used to that since most plants that are in pet stores or online are being or have been shipped from CA or FL.

P.S. I could also probably ship you some of my extra hornwort after it's more mature and I can propagate it. I'll search around and study how it propegates to see if I can get you some for free later.
for now here's an amazing deal on an ideal betta floater named frogbit:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT
This guy is extremely dependable and he grew up in my home state before moving. :) He's also very prompt in e-mailing back if you have any questions.

My advice on frogbit though is that it propagates quickly, so you will quickly have a tank with these little things ALL over the surface of the water which is good and bad. They sure do suck up ammonia, but since your 10 gallon has an overhead light it will also block the sunlight to your other plants. so you'll need to get rid of some of them with every water change or move them to another tank.

Last edited by LucyLoofa; 01-06-2011 at 10:50 PM.
LucyLoofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:54 PM   #23 
turtle10

No problem, I am super tired too. Okay so I will just do the daily changes, then bi weekly, etc. When I do change the water, I know I will have to move the Betta and Shrimps during the process, but do I need to move the snails? I know they are stuck to the glass but I don't want to stress them. Silly question lol.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:06 PM   #24 
LucyLoofa

Quote:
No problem, I am super tired too. Okay so I will just do the daily changes, then bi weekly, etc. When I do change the water, I know I will have to move the Betta and Shrimps during the process, but do I need to move the snails? I know they are stuck to the glass but I don't want to stress them. Silly question lol.
The snails will be fine from what I gather. They can survive out of water long enough for the water change.
Just be sure that before you stick that cup/tupperwear in to start draining the tank of the current water that you already have a bucket of treated water ready to switch it out first.
I.E. fill a bucket with the new water first and treat it with water conditioner, then use another bucket to dump the old tank water in.
and if you're doing a 75 percent change, depending on the number of shrimp you could possibly just leave them in the water that's at the bottom since there will still be 1/4 of your tank's water left. Which in a 10 gallon is plenty for the little guys I'd imagine, but I've never filled my used 10 gallon yet but to check for leaks lol I can try tonight and see how much it would have left.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:08 PM   #25 
turtle10

Oh I didn't even see the other part lol..

I would love some Hornwort if possible! I haven't seen it at any of my local fish stores. That would be so great.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:18 PM   #26 
turtle10

Okay I feel like I am ready for my Betta. So excited, can't wait.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:19 PM   #27 
turtle10

Oh wait not ready yet! What type of soil do I use? lol
Old 01-06-2011, 11:34 PM   #28 
LucyLoofa

I got Miracle Grow organic potting mix. It was like 3 dollars at the Lowes beside my house but 5 dollars in TN near my apt.
OFL uses yard dirt though with lots of success.
I think the miracle grow is good though because some people's soil isn't as rich in nutrients as others.
Mine is very nourishing, but also has a lot of clay in it near my house but the soil around my apartment may have pesticides... So I'm wary to use it.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:41 PM   #29 
turtle10

Okay cool I can get that lots of places.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:48 PM   #30 
LucyLoofa

Quote:
Okay cool I can get that lots of places.
Okie dokie. Really tired, it's 1 am here.
:) Goodnight then!
I can talk about it more tomorrow.

Tags
betta, cycling