Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-06-2011, 05:52 PM   #1 
neekis

Exclamation algae eaters

I originally posted this in the wrong forum with the title algae problem...sorry.

I have a real algae problem in my 14 gal tank. I have one male betta with live plants. What kind of fish do some of you have that eats the algae and does good with your male betta? I know male bettas differ on compatibility, but can anyone suggest one that has a good compatiblity record?? I've been doing research and I'm leaning towards an otto...I don't want to do snails.

I would like to go out tomorrow and get something, as I just spent the last hour cleaning off the plants (removing and replanting) and changing 1/2 his water....So a quick reply would be great!

Thanks so much!!
neekis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:34 PM   #2 
shinybetta

Ottos are great. A BN or other small pleco is fine, but your aquarium must be filled with rocks, wood, etc... to create lots of space for the pleco. Albino Bn plecos stay smaller by an inch or two as well.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:16 PM   #3 
neekis

Thanks sooo much...I reposted this message on Fish compatibility and got the same answer. An otto it is! :)
Old 01-07-2011, 11:46 AM   #4 
Alex09

Platies! They are my little miracle workers. I hear ottos can be difficult as they are often wild caught and never adapt to aquarium life. Then there is the whole issue that many of them wont eat manufactured foods so you have to be 100% sure your tank can create enough algae to sustain the fish. I also hear they like to be kept in pairs or groups of three. If you opt for ottos make sure your aquarium is fully mature (at least a few months old) and make sure your cycle is stable.

The best preventor of algae however, is the owner not a fish. If you have a really bad problem it means something is wrong with your tank. How much light do you have (in watts?), Is it a florescent or incandescent? How far is it from the water surface? What's the kelvin temp of the light? How long do you leave the light on? What kind of plants do you have in the tank? Ferts?

Fast growing stem plants (anacharis, hornwort) can help too as I hear they can out-compete algae for nutrients. Floating plants are notorious fo rthis as well (duckweed, frogbit, water lettuce). If your problem is too much light, floaters can further help by diluting the amount of light that goes through. Hit two birds with one stone.

I had a really bad algae problem in my 10 gal. If you look closely in this pic you can see it all over the rocks, wood, and substrate. I solved it with a blackout. I basically gave up on the planted tank and left all the lights off. The algae went away. I added platies, and decided to go for it again. This time I also raised the light fixture several inches higher. Never had a problem with algae since. I know platies eat it because I still had a bunch left on my driftwood but the next day it was mostly gone and the platies were looking plump lol.

Last edited by Alex09; 01-07-2011 at 11:54 AM.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:10 PM   #5 
neekis

Thanks for the reply. Actually, I just got back from Petco and decided to go with Mystery Snails. I hope that was a good idea. I just didn't want to take a chance with having my betta attack other fish.

In regards to lighting, I can't remember what the watts are, but I know they are incandescent. Not sure on the wattage. We always turn the light off at night and it's off for about 6-8 hours...depending on when my lil guy gets up!

As for the plants I originally had Amazon Sword (echinodorus), Coconut (perliosanthes) and Gold Ribbon (Dracaena)...then did my research after the fact and found that the Amazon Sword is the only true aquatic plant. I got rid of the other two because they weren't doing as well.

Any more advice would be great...for a 14 gal tank what would you suggest for lighting?

Thanks again!
Old 01-07-2011, 02:31 PM   #6 
Malvolti

For some reason my Betta has no problem with other fish, shrimp or my ADF but he hates snails (or loves them). He's so far killed 2, one was a small hitchhiker he ate the other was a mystery snail he kept attacking. Stressed it out so badly it died shortly after I seperated them.

Now I just leave algae to my shrimp who are more than happy to oblige.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:51 PM   #7 
neekis

Great.....hopefully my betta (Neekis) will behave! I guess I'll just keep an eye on them. I don't know why I thought a snail would be safe...I guess the hard shell???

My snails have only been in the water for an hour so I guess I'll see. I thought one was getting ready to come out, but then he went back in. (Hopefully Neekis didn't make him go back in!)

Thanks for the input!
Old 01-07-2011, 02:53 PM   #8 
Alex09

Quote:
Originally Posted by neekis View Post
Thanks for the reply. Actually, I just got back from Petco and decided to go with Mystery Snails. I hope that was a good idea. I just didn't want to take a chance with having my betta attack other fish.

In regards to lighting, I can't remember what the watts are, but I know they are incandescent. Not sure on the wattage. We always turn the light off at night and it's off for about 6-8 hours...depending on when my lil guy gets up!

As for the plants I originally had Amazon Sword (echinodorus), Coconut (perliosanthes) and Gold Ribbon (Dracaena)...then did my research after the fact and found that the Amazon Sword is the only true aquatic plant. I got rid of the other two because they weren't doing as well.

Any more advice would be great...for a 14 gal tank what would you suggest for lighting?

Thanks again!
There is your problem. Incadescent lighting doesnt provide enough brightness and color spectrum (k) that the plants need. Plants need to be in a k rating of 6500k as thats what they absorb best (it imaitates daylight). It has all the colors of the spectrum and they absorb that to create energy. The problem with flourecents is that 1. they are never bright enough 2. They heat your water and waste energy and 3 they arent in the right k temp - they are too yellowish. Because of this, the plants cant absorb the light to its full potential. They can only absorb a little bit of it. Algae on the other hand, operates differently, it can thrive in any spectrum of light. This is making the algae win over the plants. So in this situation this tank is like an algae farm.To solve this problem I suggest you get two ten watt compact flourecents to replace the incadescent bulbs with. One good option is this bulb. You can also use the spiral kind they sell at walmart/target/home depot etc such as this one. The important thing here is to get a flourescent bulb. One with a 6500k temp. These are usually labeled and marketed as "daylight". the k temp is always found on the packaging. Besides, these bulbs will make your tank look waaay better.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:59 PM   #9 
neekis

Thanks Alex09 - I will definitely do that! It was just one of those things that I never got around to researching....it's sometimes a little difficult as I have a 4 yr old that doesn't like me to be on the computer!

BTW, the only reason I got the betta was last Feb my husband was getting ready to go ice fishing. My son, Freddy, wanted to keep a minnow. So instead, I bought the 1-1/2 gal nemo tank and 1 male betta. Of course, I couldn't stand to see him in that tiny aquarium, so we upgarded this last summer....and now, here I am....I never knew how attached you could get to a fish. And Freddy loves taking care of him. (of course, I do the water changing and all that fun stuff!)

Thanks again for the info. I will get new lights ASAP. (Hopefully my snails will survive!!)
Old 01-07-2011, 04:42 PM   #10 
Alex09

Quote:
The problem with flourecents is that 1. they are never bright enough 2.
SORRY I meant Incandescents LOL

Good luck on your tank!