Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-06-2011, 08:09 PM   #1 
HayrideHaunter

shells and rocks

I was hoping to find more to put in Marbles' tank so he has more decoration...right now all he has are two smaller, fake plants and of course his neon gravel...he doesnt have a ton of room so I cant get him a cave or anything, plus im REALLY hard up for cash...

I have some shells and stones (mostly polished stones but i have raw crystals and unpolished rocks as well)

I was wondering if i could add some of them to his tank? I would clean them (even soak them if i had to) with hot water and make sure none are sharp...any input?
HayrideHaunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:16 PM   #2 
DormDrax

Just boil them for awhile and they should be fine.

I heard you can use small Terra Cotta pots to use as caves as well... even seen them in a few pics from people on this forum.
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:21 PM   #3 
HayrideHaunter

yeah...i've seen em too...thats just a money thing...I'm so broke >.<...but I'll likely give him a large shell or two...thanks!
Old 01-06-2011, 08:46 PM   #4 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayrideHaunter View Post
yeah...i've seen em too...thats just a money thing...I'm so broke >.<...but I'll likely give him a large shell or two...thanks!
If you have large cup like shells keep one of them Cup side up. Drax now and then actually lays in it. If your moving stuff around it will jostle alot but otherwise won't move.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:51 PM   #5 
shinybetta

Terra cotta pots are great decorations and caves. I use one. Just make sure he can't get stuck in the shell. One persons fish died from getting stuck in a shell.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:53 PM   #6 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinybetta View Post
Terra cotta pots are great decorations and caves. I use one. Just make sure he can't get stuck in the shell. One persons fish died from getting stuck in a shell.
I said cup like shell... like a Clam shell.............. *Ponders* Now I'm just curious of what this Death Shell looked like >,>
Old 01-06-2011, 08:57 PM   #7 
HayrideHaunter

yeah i wouldnt use any with deep openings...just tiny ones or the reall shallow clamshell type
Old 01-06-2011, 09:01 PM   #8 
metalbetta

I have a shell that Nina had in her tank when she was just a baby betta... It was her favorite little hiding place. if you're going to use one for your fish, pay attention to their growth and be ready to take it out once they're too big. Nina is now the biggest fish in my sorority, and would easily get stuck in that shell. Sooo it's out of use until I have another baby girl. lol
metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:09 PM   #9 
HayrideHaunter

thx Metal...but i really do prefer the clamshell type =D i was referring to those =)
Old 01-06-2011, 09:15 PM   #10 
metalbetta

Oh yeah those are fine. lol I only use them in one of my tanks... Cameron doesn't really mess with them but they make the tank look nice. :)
metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote