Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-06-2011, 10:13 PM   #1 
Jupiter

Calix isn't looking so hot.

Calix has been a little weird lately. His fins have been clamped, and I think he's biting them. He's not as vibrant as he was before. The past two days he's also not as active. Today he was lying on the bottom a lot. He still eats and his poop looks normal, though.

The water params in the tank should be normal, though. I've been changing the water regularly (it's a 10 gallon split and I do 2 w/cs per week), and the ammonia was fine when I checked. Octavian is perfectly fine too.

So today I removed him from the 10 gallon and switched with Albatross. Calix went into the 3 gallon Critter Keeper. I did a complete water change and put in some aquarium salt. The tank is a toasty 82 degrees.

Is there anything else I should do for him?
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:35 PM   #2 
BettaFishRule

I have a question what dose betta fish poop look like?
BettaFishRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:55 PM   #3 
Jupiter

Um...it looks like a browl coil/ball.

Calix...I don't know what's wrong with him. He's in the new tank, but he doesn't seem to be making much progress. His fins are still clamped and pretty ratty looking. He doesn't lie on the bottom as much anymore, but he's still acting oddly. Usually he's under the bridge, and he darts around A LOT now, like he's spooked about something. he'll zoom and thrash around the tank a few times and then go hide again.

He's still eating though.

Going to try to do another water change tomorrow or in a few days.

Can anyone give me advice? :/
Old 01-08-2011, 06:26 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Usually when a fish is darting acting spooked, clamped fins and hiding...either it is a parasite or something is wrong with the water...heavy metals can do this, not using enough dechlorinater, stray volt from a broken heater, too hot water, high ammonia are a few common causes other that external parasites

I would QT him in a small container and start daily water changes with aquarium salt 1tsp/gal, turn off the light, use extra dechlorinator and if the dechlorinater doesn't cover heavy metals you may need to get one that does....all fish react differently to the metals and other stuff in the tank-one fish may tolerate it fine when other don't.....external parasites like gill flukes, fish lice, icH, velvet as well as other external parasites can cause this type of behavior too
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:01 PM   #5 
Jupiter

Thanks OFL. I'll try that. I don't think that water is the problem, since it's been okay in the past, but I'll go get it checked in case it's changed. What sort of dechlorinator removes heavy metals, though? I just use Tetra right now.

It'll be pretty hard to see if he's got any parasites on him though. He SEEMED okay when I last saw him, but I'll be more thorough to see if there's anything odd.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:40 AM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Prime and I think the API brand cover heavy metals-it should say on the bottle

Also, some parasites are in the gill area and hard to see
Check your heater and make sure it is not cracked and leaking a stray volt
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote