Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-06-2011, 05:50 PM   #1 
Sweeda88

Even garlic juice doesn't make him eat...

Miki still won't eat, and I have to wonder... did his breeder EVER ween him off of live food? He ACTS like he's hungry when I come up to the tank, but it's like he's unfamiliar with pellets. He wiggles all over now when he sees me, like he's expecting food. I don't have money to get him live food... I hope he gets the idea soon.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:50 PM   #2 
Kiku

I might be stating the obvious, but have you tried freeze dried bloodworms? They might resemble food to him XD I'd give it a try if you haven't already (plus they're cheap, often cheaper than pellets). My fishy refused to eat until I introduced him to the bloodworms, then all of a sudden he recognized the pellets as food, too.
Kiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:27 PM   #3 
Sweeda88

Yes, I've tried them! He doesn't even nip at them! I put them right in front of him with tweezers, and he either acts like they aren't there, or backs away.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:43 PM   #4 
Kiku

Oh dear...how long has it been since he's eaten?
Old 01-06-2011, 09:54 PM   #5 
shinybetta

Have you tried sinking the pellets? My male wouldn't eat unless I sank his pellets. On the way down he "hunted" them and then ate them. I guess sinking them makes them look like they are alive and moving.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:04 PM   #6 
CodeRed

Have you tried flakes? I have 2 that will eat nothing but flakes. Have you tried crushing the pellets? They might be too big for him to eat, or he might just prefer smaller bites. I have another like that. Have you tried teasing him with the food? Maybe use some tweezers with a bloodworm and make it into a game?
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:09 PM   #7 
Sweeda88

Yes, I tried sinking the pellets. No, I haven't tried flakes. I'm broke right now, so I can't exactly buy any. And he won't even take bloodworms. I got him on the 1st, and he still won't eat! I know a lot of people's fish take a couple weeks, but he's so skinny! Also, he doesn't even TRY to eat them. It's like they're not even there. No, he isn't blind. And yes, I have tried teasing him and the tweezers. I've tried everything I can think of.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:10 PM   #8 
Kiku

Oh dear...he sounds sort of depressed to me. I'd really keep an eye out for clamped fins =(
Old 01-06-2011, 10:25 PM   #9 
CodeRed

Also, DON'T WORRY (: I have had about 3 fish who wouldn't eat for 2 weeks. Bettas can live a long time without eating, odds are he'll begin soon. Bettas are pigs, I highly doubt he'll keep this up long. The most important things are 1) keep providing the ability to eat everyday, and 2) don't antagonize him with the food. He'll learn to associate it badly and won't eat it. Just let him go at his own pace.
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:12 PM   #10 
Sweeda88

Thanks, Code Red. Also, I don't think he's depressed. He's always swimming and wiggling, and flaring.