Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-07-2011, 12:48 PM   #1 
bettafish15

Unhappy Fins Shredded! VT looking almost like a CT!

Housing
What size is your tank? 14 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 81F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Filter aerates it
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Hikari Betta Bio-Gold and Freeze Dried Bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? Every day, 4-5 pellets throughout the day, every other day or so he gets a freeze dried bloodworm or two

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 20-30%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Water Conditioner - the Nutrafin kind

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
I dont have a test kit, nor do I have access to one

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Fins torn up at the edges, even on the dorsal fin
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Seems a little less perky, hid alot more than usual when I went to take pictures
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Just this morning, once I turned the tank light on
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No treatment yet
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Hm... had excess slimecoat awhile ago, but that was gone within the hour
How old is your fish (approximately)? A year, maybe? IDK, He was from a petstore.

-----------------

I really dont know what to think! Last night he was totally fine, I mean his fins have never been perfect, but never this shredded... Nothing new has changed in his tank >.< He ate normally though.
Also, I'm three hours from any petstore, so I dont have access to any kind of salts. All i've got is stress-reducing water conditonioner :/ Even if I wasnt three hours away from an LFS, It's blizzarding right now and we've got a foot of snow out there.
Is there anything I can do for him? Is it tailbiting when theres shredding on the dorsal fin too? Anyway, Here are the pictures: (some are blurry, but you can get the general idea)

<- This one is with flash

<- Most HQ picture

So what do you guys think? BTW, There arent any sharp plants or anything in my tank >.<
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 04:25 PM   #2 
Creat

It might be fin rot but thats my best idea and i'm sorry about him and the fact you are trapped in a blizzard
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 04:38 PM   #3 
bettafish15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creat View Post
It might be fin rot but thats my best idea and i'm sorry about him and the fact you are trapped in a blizzard
Finrot was my first idea, but there isnt any brown edging and it happened literally overnight... still blizzarding here! It's now a whiteout!
Old 01-07-2011, 04:42 PM   #4 
LucyLoofa

Are your plants plastic or silk?
Plastic plants can be a big culprit.
If it'll stress a pair of pantyhose, it'll tear a fin. :(
LucyLoofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 04:48 PM   #5 
bettafish15

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyLoofa View Post
Are your plants plastic or silk?
Plastic plants can be a big culprit.
If it'll stress a pair of pantyhose, it'll tear a fin. :(
I already tested them before putting them in the tank :) And they are a soft plastic.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:52 PM   #6 
vaygirl

If it's overnight it might be tail biting caused by irritation. Sometimes there can be ammonia in your tap water. If your conditioner doesn't remove ammonia it could be making your guy uncomfortable and causing him to bite.

If it's NOT that, does he play in the filter at all? Does he flare a lot? Those two things can sometimes cause a 'blown' tail. It looks like a flag that got caught in the wind.

I wouldn't worry too much. Tango, who lived in a 16 gallon for a while, frequently had the sort of tail damage your guy seems to have from excessive flaring. It always healed back up on it's own with clean water and no meds.

But I would be sure there's no ammonia in your water or in your tank, so if you can (once you're not snowed in), get yourself some testing equipment. It helps a lot when you don't know what's going on.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 04:55 PM   #7 
LittleBettaFish

I had a cellophane male who had a very thin tail and even with nothing sharp in his tank and a stocking over the filter intake, would still manage to catch and tear his tail.

However, the main cause tended to be the filter intake before it was properly protected. He would rest up against it, and his tail would get caught and give it that jagged sort of look.

I would just recommend clean water and some good frozen foods and that should clear up in no time. I wouldn't add salt or anything, but that's just a personal preference of mine.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote