Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-11-2011, 04:01 PM   #1 
ansalong

Feeding community fish

I don't have a community tank, am working on just the one betta right now, but am thinking and researching for a future possibility.

I was wondering how feeding goes for a community tank, especially with a betta? Does your betta try to eat all the other fishes' meals? Do you have tricks to make sure some fish don't overeat and others don't starve?
ansalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:05 PM   #2 
small fry

I had my betta, Tony in a community tank once. He wasn't a bully. I made the unfortunate mistake of putting him in with 2 Swordtails (m,f) and 1 corydoras (the cory has buddies now!). The swords were abit nippy towards Tony. Tony never got in there way.

That was just Swords, though.
small fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:23 PM   #3 
crowntail lover

What community fish are you looking to get..?
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:56 PM   #4 
ansalong

I've been reading a lot of recommendations for corys so that is probably where I would start. I would love some black mollies and am reading some conflicting reports about them getting along with Bettas.

I love all suckerfish and at some point in my life will have a pleco but that's not high on the agenda now. I also really like blue tetras but also not high on the agenda.

I will probably be looking at a 10 - 20 gal tank depending on measurements. If it's a 10 gal I will probably just do my betta with 4 corys. If it's much bigger I will want some other kinds of fish.
ansalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:55 PM   #5 
small fry

In my expirence with that kind of setup (bettas and cories), you just put the flakes on the surface, and then when the betta is eating the flakes, drop the algae wafer (or whatever you are going to use) or piece of an algae wafer on the opposite side you feed your betta on.

I don't recommend any species of tetra with a betta in a 10g tank. A common pleco can grow to be well over 2' long, and require a 75g tank minimally. There are smaller species of pleco such as the bristle nose and rubber lip plecos. They aquire a small adult size, but imo they need a 15g tank or better.

Mollies can be fin-nippers (as many livebearers tend to be), so if you put them with a betta, you have to closely and regularly examine the betta's fins. I also don't recommend mollys and bettas in a 10g tank.

Don't worry, we'll figure something out.
small fry is offline   Reply With Quote