Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-07-2011, 12:14 PM   #1 
BroNus23

femal betta compatibility

Hello Everyone! I am new to this website and also a relatively new betta owner. Let me give you some history on my betta before I get to my question. I had one male betta fish for about 4 months. I kept him in a little bowl probably about 1 gal but learned that he needed more space. I moved him to a 3 gal tank. He seemed happier when he was in the smaller bowl but swam more. One day I noticed his fins were getting a bit frayed and treated him right away with maracyn plus but he died within two days
:( I found him dead at the bottom of the bowl with this white film on him. Could fin rot have killed him that fast or could it have been something else?

I also have a large tank with goldfish. I tried to put my male betta in there when he was still healthy to see if he would get along but he started attacking my goldfish so I kept him seperate. I want to get female betta's now because I heard they are less aggressive. I was thinking of getting two. Will they be ok living together? Also are female betta's more friendly? Can they live in my big tank with the other fish?
BroNus23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:05 PM   #2 
Alex09

While female bettas are generally more peaceful, getting two will be a bad idea. One will become the bully and harass the other one to death. If you want to keep females together, you will need at least 4 females and a minimum size 10 gallon tank (which could house up to 7 or 8 females).
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:10 PM   #3 
bettafish15

Uh, no. Bettas, male or female, cant live with goldfish because they have different water temperatures. Goldfish are coldwater, bettas are tropical fish needing 78 to 83F. If you want females for another tank, go for it, but not with coldwater fish.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:18 PM   #4 
Malvolti

Another problem is that bettas need a temperature around 78 degrees but that is too high for goldfish who prefer room temperature (about 65-68 degrees).

Either CAN live in the others environment but they become very prone to illness.

Goldies when they get larger will also start attacking a betta and eating his fins.

Basically housing the goldfish and Betta together will kill one of them if they don't kill each other.

As others have said, females need to be either alone or in groups of 4 or more.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:25 PM   #5 
bettamaniac

you can keep a female with a cory catfish I know I have a female betta with a cory catfish
bettamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:46 PM   #6 
bettafish15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettamaniac View Post
you can keep a female with a cory catfish I know I have a female betta with a cory catfish
Cories are very social fish, and if you only have one you'll need two more, depending on your tank size. :)
Old 01-09-2011, 08:44 PM   #7 
anglnarnld

If you can keep 7-8 females in a 10g tank how many can you have in a 20g??
anglnarnld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:35 PM   #8 
bettafish15

Double that? IDK. xD
Old 01-10-2011, 06:15 AM   #9 
alcvong

I've just bought a 8.5 gallon tank and planning on putting in 4-5 females and 1 bristlenose fish (maybe 2), how would this go down?
alcvong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:35 AM   #10 
bettafish15

BADLY. You need at LEAST 10 gallons for a sorority, and bristlenose plecos need 20 gallons, IMO. Unless they are of the albino version, BN's cant go in anything smaller than 10 gallons.