Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-07-2011, 02:23 PM   #1 
Littlebittyfish

Marimo Balls

Have any of you had any luck keeping marimo balls alive in betta aquariums?I am interested in buying a few for my fish Cleos new aquarium, but I haven't had any luck finding them in any petstores here. Have any of you bought marimo balls online? I found some on ebay but because it is ebay I feel kind of undecided if I want to buy them there, do any of you know where else I could possibly buy some online?

Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:36 PM   #2 
Malvolti

Every pet store I've been in carries Marimo, they usually have quite a number of them. Have you tried asking the associates? Pet stores like to put marimo in the fish tanks, not the plant tanks.

I have one marimo that is thriving. Not sure why, I don't do anything special for it.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:38 PM   #3 
AngelicScars

I bought mine on ebay for cheap. Three small ones. It took a month to get here because they were overseas. I was worried they'd be dead or dying by the time I got them, but they were fine. I've had them for at least a year and a half now.
:D
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:57 PM   #4 
celine18

yea, try looking in the fish tanks, that's where the stores around me keep them. but a lot of time, unless they just got them in, they'll look gray from the grit and nastyness, i'd avoid those. a little could probably be washed off, but don't waste your money unless it looks mainly green.
when i had a marimo i never did anything for it, and it lived happily for a good month or two, until it got poisoned by toxins in the water and had to be thrown away. they're super easy, and don't need anything other than a little light and to be turned every now and then so the bottom doesn't get brown.
celine18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 04:13 PM   #5 
Fermin

I have a bunch of marimos, some are plum-sized and some pea-sized. They just sit at the bottom and I'll knock them around when vacuuming to turn them.

Aquabid always has marimos listed in their "Aquarium Plants" category.
Fermin is offline   Reply With Quote