Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-07-2011, 02:57 PM   #1 
soccerdog693

ammonia levels!!!

OK, I have 1 betta in a 2.5 gallon tank. I didn't cycle it before hand because I was told that one, it would be hard to cycle such a small tank, and two, I thought that if I did enough frequent water changes I could keep ammonia down to a reasonable level. In retrospect this was probably a poor choice, but I was pressed for time (home from college for Christmas break and I wanted to get the aquarium established before leaving for school)

Anyway, I am having a TERRIBLE time keeping the ammonia levels down. I have an aquarium pharmaceutics testing kit that I've been using to test the ammonia (NH3+ and NH4). I did a full water change yesterday so ammonia was at 0 ppm, and today I test it and it's somewhere between .5 and 1 ppm. Does this seem feasible? I know ammonia levels rise fast in small aquaria, but that seems too fast.

I have vacuumed the gravel so there is not decaying food in the tank.

Any ideas what's going on here?
soccerdog693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:10 PM   #2 
dr2b

By chance have you tested the water before putting it in the tank to confirm it is at 0 ppm? Sometimes our water source has stuff in it and we don't realize it.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:14 PM   #3 
soccerdog693

Yup, its 0 ppm after I put in the conditioner and aq. salt
Old 01-07-2011, 04:15 PM   #4 
soccerdog693

OK, I give up, I'm doing spring water.

I have well water, which I thought would be fine if I used conditioners.

Well, apparently, my water is very hard and has a high PH, which I CAN'T seem to get down. Plus I'm probably getting false positives on ammonia because of the conditioner I use that breaks the chloramine up.

I don't want to deal with it any more because the more I mess with Xander's water, the more upset he gets and I don't want to stress him out that he gets sick.

So I just went out and bought a jug of purified spring water. Yeah, it cost me a buck fifty, but it's better than dealing with all the other stuff. Any suggestions on how to change him over? Should I just do very small water changes every day to get him used to new water?
Old 01-08-2011, 12:09 AM   #5 
Kiku

I'm curious, do you not have any tap water? Generally that's considered the safest...
Kiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:13 AM   #6 
dr2b

From betta talk:
Quote:
Switching water or making water quality changes:

Anytime you change the water conditions (lower or increase PH, change bottled water brands) or switch from one type of water to another (for example from distilled water to tap water), you must DO SO VERY GRADUALLY or your betta might go into shock. Even if he doesn’t pull a whole shock thing on you, he might get stressed, which will lower his immune system and will cause him to catch any bacteria present in his jar. A bad thing. So always take your time and ease him into his environment changes.

Make PH changes gradually over the course of a few days. The more abrupt the change, the more time you should take. NOTE: PH is often unstable and will “bounce” back up when you try to lower it. That is why I usually just add my PH down drops initially and then don’t worry about it anymore (I basically leave it alone after that).

WARNING: If your PH is very high you may never be able to lower it. Adding too many drops of PH down can burn your betta’s fins off!! Remember that PH down is acid, so it is acid you are adding to the water!!

If you are switching water, and have all the time in the world, I recommend blending the old type with the new type in the following proportions:

Week 1 = 25% of the new type with 75% of the old

Week 2 = 50% of the new type with 50% of the old

Week 3 = 75% of the new type with 25% of the old

Week 4 = 100 % of the new type of water Yeyyyyy!!! :))))
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 02:05 AM   #7 
soccerdog693

Thanks for the suggestion on how to change the water. I just worry because my betta has not been very active recently and I'm beginning to wonder if my well water is slowly killing him.

My tap water is from a well.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:01 PM   #8 
leaveittoweaver

I too had problems when I lived with my parents, cause they had a well. The water was just way too hard.
leaveittoweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:44 PM   #9 
soccerdog693

I figure the other plus to switching to spring water is so when I go back to college this semester I can just get the same spring water at walmart and not have to go back and forth between dorm water and home water every time I come home for christmas/summer.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:05 PM   #10 
FloridaBettas239

I have well water that is really hard, all 50+ bettas do fine. Fish adjust there blood to the hardness of water.
Anyway do you have a filter? Do you have any live plants? And, How often are you feeding and how much?
If there's no filter, you can get ammonia levels like that. If you want to put a filter, I would get a little sponge filter. It would be perfect. If not no big deal, just change 1/2 to 1 gallon of water everyday or every other day.
The live plants, If you have live plants. Any rotting of the plants will give rising ammonia levels.
Last but not least, Over feeding!! If you are giving your fish more food then the size of his eyes then your over feeding. You should feed a small amounts everyday 2 times a day. Becarful to not over feed. Any left over food will cause rising ammonia..

Anyway I hope that helped, a little ammonia won't hurt but to much is deadly just keep an eye out like your doing.
FloridaBettas239 is offline   Reply With Quote