Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-18-2011, 05:38 PM   #1 
Kiku

icky stuff (mold?) growing on decorations

There's some white stuff that looks (and smells!) rather like mold on one of the wood ornaments in my tank. So far I've rinsed it in hot water and did a 50% water change...should I get rid of it? Is the stuff safe?
Kiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:44 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Is this in a cycled tank with livestock and is this a new piece of wood? store bought or native collected?

Usually on new wood and/or native collected wood you will get a fungus that is usually harmless and the fish and invert will feed off of it and/or it will go away on it own in a few days, if not, I would remove it and scrub it and put it back in the tank to continue to cure.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:47 PM   #3 
Kiku

It was storebought, and the decoration was a painted wood ornament in the shape of Japanese Tori (so not a natural product necessarily). The water smelled terrible, and I tried siphoning the gravel three times, but there was so much of the white stuff ended up rinsing everything under hot water. I felt bad for messing up my cycle, but this stuff was EVERYWHERE. It did not smell good at all.
Kiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:50 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

In that case I would remove it...especially if it is not a natural product...are you sure it was meant for the aquarium and not for lizards or something.....when in doubt...toss it.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote